News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Upgrades could ruin it for everyone

Started by Goosecreek, February 15, 2023, 04:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Pennsylvania did it right. They decided to allow e-bikes in state parks, but instead of a class system, they simply enforce speed limits and basic rules (like must have functional pedals). When asked about it, they said they would rather manage behavior than devices. I think that's a smart move because new bikes come out every week, and the variety is endless. 

joeliniowa

I like the nomenclature I've learned; I'm just skimming this topic.  I'm not intimidated by the "mafia" I join in their events.  I know my "round trip" requirements. I ride to that level.  They are polite to me and actually very interested in my beast.  I have a RR+ with 2 batteries, using a DATEX-3.  I have a range near 70 miles.  I haven't pushed farther than that.

OK, the "speeders" don't give a rats, but I don't much care about them.  We're all members of our State Group, "Iowa Bicycle Collation." It is a big, inclusive, and "happy happy joy joy" group.

Iowa is the home of RAGBRAI, where everyone and anyone is welcome.  The last week of July is not for the weak of heart, or weak heart.  That's another story.
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

Carcosa view

Quote from: SemperVee on February 16, 2023, 10:29:50 PM

I spend a lot of time on city trails and the majority of issues with hogging the f***ing road and speeding is the spandex mafia.  I play chicken with the Ahats on "real" bikes in spandex who think they own the F** road and won't move over riding 2-3 abreast at too fast speeds to be safe.

+1

Most.Pelone

Quote from: Goosecreek on February 15, 2023, 04:16:34 AM
Lots of folks wanting to upgrade their bikes to make them faster.  Are these people planning on giving up their rights to National Parks and bike paths and relegate the use to motor vehicle roads only, or do they plan on getting electric bikes banned from everywhere but motor vehicle approved areas?
Just wondering banning electric bikes from multi use areas will kill the industry and leave a lot of customers disappointed all because of a small number who want to use them inappropriately.
I have motorcycles and don't see a problem with electric motorcycles but I do have problems with people using overpowered bikes on trails that small children are using to learn how to ride or families just out for a walk.
No one thinks that it will happen to them until it does. Keep in mind if you accidentally kill a child with a modified bike you could be charged for a serious crime on top of having to live with your actions.
Just a little food for thought.
Thanks Mom, we got it from here lol
J/k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sommermann

Quote from: BeachWagon on May 06, 2023, 10:46:16 AM
Rather than focusing on "upgrades," I think it is more important to be a good citizen on whatever you ride. Give pedestrians a wide berth. Mostly follow the laws, and be a good rider on the road. When you can, get over to allow cars to pass you. Don't cut people off. Don't ride the wrong way at high speed. If you're going to ride the sidewalks for safety give way to pedestrians. Always assume that people in cars don't see you. And lastly, just be friendly and helpful to others. The spandex crowd has gotten a bad reputation due to videos of some fighting with car drivers.

Well said. Thanks for posting these good reminders.