News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Making RadRover Tires as Puncture Resistant as Possible

Started by joshmkim, August 12, 2020, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

joshmkim

Hi. I'm a new RadRover 5 owner. Had the bike a couple of weeks, and just went over 300 miles. Loving it. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to make the tires as puncture resistant as possible?

I've read about the Tuffy protectors and Slime. Is this something you'd recommend? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Josh

Bob Mc

I rode my Moonshine Runner for 4 months without any flats, then I got three in a row (goat heads). I put in Stan’s NoTubes Tire Sealant slime stuff and haven’t had a flat in two months, I did pull out three goat heads and the Stan’s closed them before I lost air. Good luck.

Rickr

FortunatelyTheMilk

GET

When I took our rad city bikes in for the first 100 mile tune up to our local bike shop (trex bikes shop) the first words the tech said was,  wow these are nice tires.  However I had him add their version of slime to each tire and so far with over 600 miles, no flats.

RadJohn

Quote from: FortunatelyTheMilk on August 20, 2020, 07:45:34 AM
Can the Tuffy Liners be cut to length?

Yes (I emailed them and asked).

I used Mr Tuffy 3XL (tan) Fat Liners cut to 70 inches for my 2020 Rad Mini 4 KRad 20 x 3.3" tires (and I beveled the cuts and rounded the corners).

jbfoster

Has anyone tried the Tannus Armour? It's a thick foam liner. I do believe you have to go down a size with the tube.

Jim

Marc Mc

can anyone help? i have a rad rhino and want to replace the tyres, I've seen some jumbo jims that do a 26x4.80 rather than 26x4 the size bigger is because the tread is bigger not the rim. is this right and will they rub on anything?????? please help!

Gordon71

I don't believe you need to cut the Mr. Tuffy liners.  I just overlapped them.  I also slimed both tires.

RadJohn

Quote from: Gordon71 on August 27, 2020, 02:46:52 PM
I don't believe you need to cut the Mr. Tuffy liners.  I just overlapped them...

Mr Tuffy currently only makes fat liners for 26" wheels. For those of us with Rads with 20" fat tires, simply overlapping standard MT fat liners without cutting them would be kind of ridiculous as there would be about  25 or 26 inches of overlap as opposed to the recommended 2 to 3 inches.   

Gordon71

Actually  at Mr.Tuffy.com instructions say to overlap but don't trim.  Unless there's enough to do two smaller tires with some overlap I see no reason to shorten them.  Two layers are better than 1.