News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Advice on RadCity 4 and fairly steep hills

Started by Jr Samples, August 10, 2020, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jr Samples

Hello,

Help!!!

I am looking into e-bikes and am looking at the RadCity for my wife and myself. The RadCity looks like it will fit our needs, except in one area that is quite important. We live on a fairly good-sized hill and I haven't been able to find out definitively whether the Direct Drive motor is going to have enough torque (40Nm) to get us up the hill and beyond without a lot of additional effort. We don't care for the fat tires of the Rover, which has the geared motor with 50Nm torque, which I'm sure is better on the hills.

I did read the thread about the gentleman who had the City as well and had hill issues, but I didn't come away feeling the question was answered, maybe I missed it!

If there is anyone out there that has the City and can give me a warm fuzzy that it will be adequate for sustained inclines, I would appreciate it very much. I have looked at the Ride1Up Lmtd and it appears to be a killer on hills; however, it is $300-400 more and no fenders or rack.

Any advice on a particular bike that will comfortably handle hills would be appreciated as well.  :)

TIA

TDR

I own a 2020 Rad City 4 and find that it is adequate on fairly steep hills. For steeper inclines I use PAS 4 and 4th gear. I assume you plan to pedal and will be going into the hill with momentum. Not sure how strong it would be from a dead stop using throttle only.

Ryan

It's hard to gauge since every rider is different. We've taken our 2018 RadWagon (same motor as the RadCity) up some pretty steep hills. We tend to pedal harder as opposed to changing gears. You should be able to tackle most hills while going in a lower gear - you just might not do it fast. Ultimately it depends on your definition of 'without a lot of additional effort'. And you're right, the LMT'D is pretty impressive on the hills (for a hub-drive motor at least).

Jr Samples

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, don't need to have throttle only to go up hills, just want to make sure we will not be struggling to get up them with the lower torque the City has. Our house is situated in the middle of the hill and we will be starting at zero when starting to go uphill. I'm probably being a bit too concerned. Sounds like a good bike.

kev12345

i have the new rad city. its not the best on steep hills. i definitely struggle getting up some of them. if i could do it again i'd go rover or better yet a mid drive bike. unfortunately i don't have the wallet for a mid drive which is apparently the best for hills.

Jr Samples

@kev12345,

Thanks for the response. After further research, I am going for the Rover 5. With the geared hub, it has nearly twice the torque of the City and if I find it still isn't good enough I will go for the Bolton controller upgrade. That will give me a bit more power.

Thanks again.