News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Trying to decide

Started by Jbruno1954, August 09, 2020, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jbruno1954

Trying to decide between Rad and Himiway .   I'm 65 with bad arthritic knees and  my bicycle kills me on any type of incline so I think the ebike sounds like a dream    We have a beach place 150 miles away.   Can I get either of these onto a bike rack on my car?

Dan B

Hello, I am new to Ebikes myself, so for me to tell you which bike is best for you may not work. However I do believe that Rad has wonderful customer support and when you need a part, they ship fast. Some of the other companies are not as reliable in that department because they ship from a big warehouse somewhere in the states but their HQ is in another country. Also Rad has many different bike options that may suit your needs, age, strength or slight handicaps you may have.
      You stated you were 65 and have bad knees. This to me would indicate you would likely have trouble loading/unloading a 50-70 lb ebike by yourself. also a heavy bike is not like lifting a barbell. With bikes you have your hands and arms in awkward positions and its hard to get the bike in close to your body to get leverage. A standard platform style hitch mount bike rack will likely not support a heavy ebike. So a search for the proper bike rack may be just as important has the bike itself.
      Now comes my suggestion... if you are only hauling one bicycle to a beach location and you are doing it either once a season or back and forth numerous times you would need a rack that allows you to easily load and unload a heavy bike. I ride small dirt bike motorcycles that weigh around 250 lbs. There are numerous hitch style bike racks on the market that accept motorcycles with up to 5" tires that have a loading ramp that mounts to the rear to load and to the front to unload. So with this option you could use the power of the ebike to put the bike up the ramp and onto the platform... just like with a dirt bike.. you then secure the bike with ratchet straps and make it very secure..The wheel base of most dirt bikes are around 58", so the Rads at around 45" will fit just fine. Best way is to do an internet search for dirt bike carrier racks, I think the ones with the solid platform channel are better at loading than the ones with numerous pipes running width ways, but check out both styles as one may suit your needs better. Good luck in your choice.. this is just a suggestion to allow you to make transporting your bike almost as enjoyable as riding one.

Ryan

Dan provided some excellent thoughts and I would echo the comment about weight. Ebikes are heavy and I think this is often overlooked. Putting our RadWagon on our bike rack requires two people. I can put my Ride1Up LMT'D on it by myself, but it still takes some work (it weights about 55 lbs or so). I can't comment on Himiway but Rad's support is unmatched. Not to say Himiway is bad, but it's kind of hard to compete with a company that raised $25 million this year and has 100 customer service staff.

Michael Hicken

I ordered a bike from Himiway. They couldn't even give me a ship date. They love selling bikes they don't have. When I tried to cancel they wanted to charge me 8%. Not what I would call good customer service. I would definitely stay away from him Himiway

CynicalZombie

Quote from: Michael Hicken on November 29, 2020, 05:03:57 PM
I ordered a bike from Himiway. They couldn't even give me a ship date. They love selling bikes they don't have. When I tried to cancel they wanted to charge me 8%. Not what I would call good customer service. I would definitely stay away from him Himiway
A friend just got the Himiway Cruiser delivered a few days ago.  Himiway is subbing tires.  The pic on the website shows the Kenda Juggernauts with the reflective ring.  He received regular Juggernauts without the reflective ring, and as a result, they included crappy yellow reflectors.  He was given no notice of the change.