Author Topic: Rad Mini folding joint squeeks  (Read 4566 times)

breesband@yahoo.com

• View Profile
Rad Mini folding joint squeeks
« on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi, I recently received my Rad Mini 4, I love everything about it except that the folding joint makes small noises and is not completely solid no matter how tight i tighten it.  Anyone else have this issue or is it just the way the bike is.  I was thinking of putting something in the joint so it’s tighter or maybe to help it not move.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RadJohn

• View Profile
Re: Rad Mini folding joint squeeks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »
I've had many folders over the years and the latch on my RadMini 4 is the sloppiest I can remember. The frame cutout seems way bigger than it should be for the latch face (the thin sheet metal cup with the plastic insert) to bridge properly. The cup piece on mine was all bent up from dropping into the slot at an angle, and trying to align it to bridge the slot squarely before tightening the handle was a very fiddly process and it wouldn't always stay put. I ended up adding a relatively thick stainless "washer" under the cup to better bridge the slot and the latch tightening action/feel is now much more consistent.

I haven't isolated any worrisome noises to the joint itself on my Mini, but it's not unusual for folders to creak more than solid frame bikes, usually more so from their long steering stems than their folding joints though.   

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
Hi, I recently received my Rad Mini 4, I love everything about it except that the folding joint makes small noises and is not completely solid no matter how tight i tighten it.  Anyone else have this issue or is it just the way the bike is.  I was thinking of putting something in the joint so it’s tighter or maybe to help it not move.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If it's a creaking sound, then a couple of drops of oil on the hinge will take care of it.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »