Author Topic: RadWagon Chain to Belt Drive  (Read 6349 times)

mglide

RadWagon Chain to Belt Drive
« on: August 02, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
So I'm seeing all these belt drives, carbon fiber like : https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/

This is really important if you live by the ocean like me and surf.
First there is the sand that gets everywhere then the salt air and even salt water if you ride the ebike down to
surf in a wetsuit.

The chain rusts and oil and sand do not mix - no obviously I'm not talking about immersed in sand, but when you are around it, you know it gets everywhere.

Anyone try this? Is it even possible? to exchange the tradition chain for a carbon fiber belt??

RadJohn

• View Profile
Re: RadWagon Chain to Belt Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
Probably not practical on a RadWagon because you would lose your gears (multi-speed freewheel & derailleur).

Bikes with belt drives are almost always either single speeds or have internally geared rear hubs, which would have to go where your motor is now.

You could probably convert the rear of your Wagon to something like a 14-speed Rohloff IGH & Gates belt drive, and add a mid or front wheel motor drive for around $3000 if you have the time and skills. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:27:37 PM by RadJohn »

GnomeScout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
Paragon makes some couplers IIRC that can be used to split the rear triangle. Since the belt can't be cut or broken open like a chain, you've gotta be able to open up the frame. I've looked at doing a conversion to belt before, but never had the time/money/courage to do so. You'll need somebody who can cut the frame and weld the connector in with a fair bit of precision. You will lose your gears, but a lot of beach towns are pretty flat from what I've seen, so I suspect that won't be a huge detriment unless you're on an island.

Kylebakin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
Paragon makes some couplers IIRC that can be used to split the rear triangle. Since the belt can't be cut or broken open like a chain, you've gotta be able to open up the frame. I've looked at doing a conversion to belt before, but never had the time/money/courage to do so. You'll need somebody who can cut the frame and weld the connector in with a fair bit of precision. You will lose your gears, but a lot of beach towns are pretty flat from what I've seen, so I suspect that won't be a huge detriment unless you're on an island.

You would also probably need to change the bottom bracket to an eccentric type in order to install.  It's a cool idea, but again best for single speed or internal geared hubs. 

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »