News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Error 30

Started by RMM, July 27, 2020, 04:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RMM

Has anyone gotten and solved an error 30 on their rad?  Popped up on my Rover yesterday at only 120 miles.  I've contacted Rad but they are slow to respond.  I went through their artical about error 30, basically check any and all connections for damage or moisture.  No luck so far. 

Ryan

Quote from: RMM on July 27, 2020, 04:21:02 AM
Has anyone gotten and solved an error 30 on their rad?  Popped up on my Rover yesterday at only 120 miles.  I've contacted Rad but they are slow to respond.  I went through their artical about error 30, basically check any and all connections for damage or moisture.  No luck so far.

When you checked connections did you unplug everything and then plug it back in? Does your battery turn on at all? Sounds like the issue is most often related to the battery itself or connections between the battery and the controller. Let us know what you find out.

RMM

I am still struggling with Error 30.  After 2.5 weeks i got a replacement controller which seems like the wrong one, and it didnt help anything.  I emailed back the same day it arrived and havent heard from them again in almost a week.  Submitted the case July 25th and really eager to get back on the bike!  I will update what the issue was once it is solved.  Really hoping to get back on it!

Ryan,
I did check the battery connections at the controller and at the battery.  They look okay.  The bike powers on but no power through pedal assist or throttle.  After about 20 seconds it just says: "Error 30 Continue".  The brake light works normally both before and after the error.  When i activate the headlight, the screen backlight comes on, but the headlight never does.  All of the connectors look good and damage free.  I have owned the bike for 6 weeks and its been broken for 3 of those, so it only has 120 miles on it thus far.  On delivery the rear brake was messed up so that took a week to get a replacement caliper. 

Ryan

Quote from: RMM on August 10, 2020, 07:28:45 AM
I am still struggling with Error 30.  After 2.5 weeks i got a replacement controller which seems like the wrong one, and it didnt help anything.  I emailed back the same day it arrived and havent heard from them again in almost a week.  Submitted the case July 25th and really eager to get back on the bike!  I will update what the issue was once it is solved.  Really hoping to get back on it!

Ryan,
I did check the battery connections at the controller and at the battery.  They look okay.  The bike powers on but no power through pedal assist or throttle.  After about 20 seconds it just says: "Error 30 Continue".  The brake light works normally both before and after the error.  When i activate the headlight, the screen backlight comes on, but the headlight never does.  All of the connectors look good and damage free.  I have owned the bike for 6 weeks and its been broken for 3 of those, so it only has 120 miles on it thus far.  On delivery the rear brake was messed up so that took a week to get a replacement caliper.

Check all connections, even at the front of the bike. Also make sure you don't miss the one going from the motor to the controller. Make sure the one that screws together at the front is tight. I'd personally unplug them all and plug them back to ensure a snug fit. It still might not be the issue but often it is a connections issue (at least from my reading).

I found this thread on EBR about Error 30

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/error-30-maintain-on-radrover.11903/

Sounds like a bugger to solve but a new controller along with really going over the connectors seems to solve it. Hope you get back on the road soon.

RMM

All of the connections have been gone over many times.  Like stated the harness and controller didn't solve it and they are now sending a display.  I am going to check the peddle assist sensor when i get home, haven't closely inspected it and that was mentioned in the posted thread.  I had expected Rad to ask for boot-up with only essential items connected to see if the error comes up but they don't seem to have a process to narrow this down other than send parts.  That's what you do with a computer that wont boot.  Unplug everything non-essential and try.  Crossing my fingers that the screen solves it!

-RMM

Ryan

Quote from: RMM on August 12, 2020, 07:30:56 AM
All of the connections have been gone over many times.  Like stated the harness and controller didn't solve it and they are now sending a display.  I am going to check the peddle assist sensor when i get home, haven't closely inspected it and that was mentioned in the posted thread.  I had expected Rad to ask for boot-up with only essential items connected to see if the error comes up but they don't seem to have a process to narrow this down other than send parts.  That's what you do with a computer that wont boot.  Unplug everything non-essential and try.  Crossing my fingers that the screen solves it!

-RMM

Thanks for the update. Will be curious if the display solves it.

RMM

So, to report in.  Rad shipped me a pile of parts so far.  Wednesday i got a battery tray, a throttle, and a screen with the handle bar buttons.  I plugged these all in and no luck.  I was reading on hear Tuesday about someone with error 30 solved by PAS (peddle assist sensor), so i disconnected it.  Now I can ride the bike with throttle, but I am going to need to wait another 2 weeks for the right parts from RAD....   I have no idea why they don't have this as a diagnostic step when you call email them.  Hopefully at some point this post helps someone else get to the end of this quicker than I have.  rode for 3 weeks after delivery and the bike has been down for a month waiting for parts from the west coast.

BTW, if you don't know, the peddle assist sensor (PAS) is on the underside of the bottom bracket.  That's what the peddles and cranks arms connect to.  It plugs directly into the controller, which is the black box all the wires lead to.  On a rover the controller is on the back of the seat tube. 

Ryan

Quote from: RMM on August 21, 2020, 04:22:48 PM
So, to report in.  Rad shipped me a pile of parts so far.  Wednesday i got a battery tray, a throttle, and a screen with the handle bar buttons.  I plugged these all in and no luck.  I was reading on hear Tuesday about someone with error 30 solved by PAS (peddle assist sensor), so i disconnected it.  Now I can ride the bike with throttle, but I am going to need to wait another 2 weeks for the right parts from RAD....   I have no idea why they don't have this as a diagnostic step when you call email them.  Hopefully at some point this post helps someone else get to the end of this quicker than I have.  rode for 3 weeks after delivery and the bike has been down for a month waiting for parts from the west coast.

BTW, if you don't know, the peddle assist sensor (PAS) is on the underside of the bottom bracket.  That's what the peddles and cranks arms connect to.  It plugs directly into the controller, which is the black box all the wires lead to.  On a rover the controller is on the back of the seat tube.

Appreciate you checking back in and I'm sure there will be plenty of people that find this helpful.

RMM

Just an FYI, the PAS showed up Tuesday, I installed it last night and I am back on the road again!  July 25th to Sept 2nd is a long time to wait on a brand new bike, but I am happy to be riding again. 

-Ryan