Author Topic: RadRunner Total Upgrade  (Read 10705 times)

Count

• View Profile
RadRunner Total Upgrade
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »
I just took delivery yesterday of my new RadRunner.  I have only ridden it once, and I love it.  I live a few blocks from the beach, and can't wait for a long beach ride this weekend.  I am one of those types who MUST upgrade everything I own, and I am expecting delivery next week of an entire upgrade "kit" composed of a 35w controller, color full featured LCD, a true Baffang 750 watt motor, 52V 20A battery, and related cables.  I want the amperage for soft beach sand and the additional mileage, and the voltage will provide a little bump in speed.  It is essentially what Bolton sells, but they are out of stock of nearly everything.  About $800 all told, but I really love the bike, and nothing out there really suited my wants and needs better, even at that cost.  I may play around with the original motor, and see if I cant make it 2 wheel drive, but first things first!  I'll send pics when it all comes in.   

Photos to follow!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:53:43 PM by Count »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RadRunner Total Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
I just took delivery yesterday of my new RadRunner.  I have only ridden it once, and I love it.  I live a few blocks from the beach, and can't wait for a long beach ride this weekend.  I am one of those types who MUST upgrade everything I own, and I am expecting delivery next week of an entire upgrade "kit" composed of a 35w controller, color full featured LCD, a true Baffang 750 watt motor, 52V 20A battery, and related cables.  I want the amperage for soft beach sand and the additional mileage, and the voltage will provide a little bump in speed.  It is essentially what Bolton sells, but they are out of stock of nearly everything.  About $800 all told, but I really love the bike, and nothing out there really suited my wants and needs better, even at that cost.  I may play around with the original motor, and see if I cant make it 2 wheel drive, but first things first!  I'll send pics when it all comes in.   

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you  8) Where did you end up ordering everything from?

yellowdirt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:27:04 AM »
Sounds like a great project. Are you tempted to try and put a front suspension fork on your RadRunner (if possible)?

Count

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:47 PM »
I ordered one from Bolton, and it should arrive soon.  It is not likely plug and play, but I will give it a try.  It can always be returned!

Count

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »
I ordered my parts from electrobikeworld.com.  Everything I needed was in stock but the color display, but it should ariive 1st week of July.  I may try to make my own battery. Bolton was out of everything but the front ene, which may or may not work.

Count

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
I found this headlight on Amazon.  It should plug right in, and is said to be 2000 lumens in the Q&A.  For $20, it may be a winner!  The stock light is quite dim, and I have not found any plug and play replacement lights which run off of high voltage.  https://amzn.to/3baspyz
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:45:14 AM by Ryan »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
I found this headlight on Amazon.  It should plug right in, and is said to be 2000 lumens in the Q&A.  For $20, it may be a winner!  The stock light is quite dim, and I have not found any plug and play replacement lights which run off of high voltage.  https://amzn.to/3baspyz

Definitely let us know!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:45:23 AM by Ryan »

Count

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »
I received my headlight, and it is 10 times brighter, for $20.  Best upgrade!.. I also received my Bolton suspension front forks 2 days ago.   I have heard nothing but "No" to the issue of bolting on the Bolton suspension front end to the RadRunner.  I ordered one anyway, and installed it with relative ease to my RadRunner, and it works beautifully.  It was necessary to punch out the threaded insert from the old front end tube which holds the cap on, and re-insert it into the Bolton tube.  The brake caliper bolts do not match up, BUT if you remove the bracket adapter from the caliper, the holes match up beautifully to the downtubes of the Bolton front end.  I did have to purchase some shorter SS mounting bolts, but otherwise it was bolt on.  The Rad Rover front rack mounts perfectly and the RadRover fender mounts perfectly.  The installation took just an hour or 2, mostly just thinking things through. 

It makes a huge difference, and looks very cool as well!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »
I received my headlight, and it is 10 times brighter, for $20.  Best upgrade!.. I also received my Bolton suspension front forks 2 days ago.   I have heard nothing but "No" to the issue of bolting on the Bolton suspension front end to the RadRunner.  I ordered one anyway, and installed it with relative ease to my RadRunner, and it works beautifully.  It was necessary to punch out the threaded insert from the old front end tube which holds the cap on, and re-insert it into the Bolton tube.  The brake caliper bolts do not match up, BUT if you remove the bracket adapter from the caliper, the holes match up beautifully to the downtubes of the Bolton front end.  I did have to purchase some shorter SS mounting bolts, but otherwise it was bolt on.  The Rad Rover front rack mounts perfectly and the RadRover fender mounts perfectly.  The installation took just an hour or 2, mostly just thinking things through. 

It makes a huge difference, and looks very cool as well!

Would love to see some pictures of both upgrades. Did the new light plug directly into the existing cable?

william.lavine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »
Pics would be great!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Reviews on Bolton's site mention the fork did not work for them.  Can you show us some pics and give us some more details please.  I'm sure many people would love to add front suspension to their Radrunners.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »