Author Topic: after rear brake pads replaced, the pedal assist seems to have lost some power..  (Read 5655 times)

generictwin

• View Profile
I took my RadRunner into to replace the rear brake pads at a local bike shop.  After getting it back from the shop I noticed that the pedal assist is not as powerful as before.  If I go from speed one to 2 it feels like it used to feel on 1.  It seems like it is struggling.  Does anyone else have this experience or know why it's like this?  Everything seems to be working fine but the pedal assist feels strained and not as powerful. 

Any insight is appreciated thanks!

JeffGo

• View Profile
Maybe the pads are rubbing against the rotor? You can check by lifting the rear and spinning the wheel. Maybe get help with the lifting part ;)

If they are, you can loosen them by a click or two. As the pads settle in, you will want to tighten them up again. My new Rad City had the front too tight so I loosened a little and after a few rides I was able to tighten them again. These are easy to adjust with a hex key - much easier than traditional brakes that drag on the rim.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Does the motor seem consistently 'on'? Could be something with the PAS sensor though if they really just touched the brakes that wouldn't make much sense. Usually you'd hear some noise if the brakes were rubbing. Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish though if the motor is on. Do as Jeff suggested. I like to get right in line with the brakes behind the wheel so you can really see what's happening.

RadJohn

• View Profile
How about your battery state of charge?

With five bars showing on your display the bike will be pretty spiffy.

With only two bars showing, it will behave sort of like you describe.

You can see this in the Watt meter section of your display, the Wattage at a given speed and PAS setting will decrease as the state of charge declines.

When you get to the last bar, and it starts flashing, the PAS 5 setting that used to be able to pull 700+ indicated Watts can max out at less than 100 Watts indicated and the bike acts like a dog (a sick one at that).

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:33:40 PM by RadJohn »

Altema

• View Profile
With the power off, I'd hold each wheel off the ground and spin it by hand to see if the pads are dragging. Sometimes shops forget to back out the inner adjuster when replacing the pads.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum