Author Topic: ebike speed when pedaling  (Read 370 times)

Dan B

• View Profile
ebike speed when pedaling
« on: July 16, 2020, 05:44:53 PM »
Hello, I don't have an ebike yet, still on order but I have a question hopefully you can help. On a Radrover ebike, if I'm riding around town and want to travel lets say at 8 mph and just meander around and I set the gearing at 3 and the motor at 2 or even 3, can I pedal easily at 8 mph or will the motor try to push me along at a much higher speed then I want to travel?  I thought maybe this was what the Cadence sensor was for to adjust the power based on how fast you want to pedal, is this correct also??
Thank you...

1Eye

• View Profile
Re: ebike speed when pedaling
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:45:34 PM »
My experience is that once you get to PA 3 and higher the motor response jumps fairly quickly compared to PS1 and 2.

I would say PS 2 will be your sweet spot and maybe even just PS 1 although I will say that at that low of a speed you probably donít need any PS and could leave it on 0 and just throttle as needed.

The bikes are heavy and youíd think that you canít pedal much with out PS but my wife recently went on a 30 min ride with no PS

JeffGo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I ride around the flat parts of my neighborhood and quickly get to 10-11 mph on PA2, so PA1 might be the right amount for 8 mph.

Rad Rider Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 03:32:21 AM »
Just test rode the 5 and ST1 yesterday and played with just this very question. Found that at PAS2 or 3 in 3rd gear, the speed was around 11-13 mph. Figure that it depends on the grade and the terrain?

sloppy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
Its all gonna depend on you and the terrain.  for a slow ride I would use pas 1 and a middle gear... hills and you will play into the equation. 

I can use PAS 1 and do 20 on flats to... 

Dan B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
Just test rode the 5 and ST1 yesterday and played with just this very question. Found that at PAS2 or 3 in 3rd gear, the speed was around 11-13 mph. Figure that it depends on the grade and the terrain?
Thats what I was hoping to hear... Actually my normal speed around town is about 10-11 mph not 8,....so your answers are spot on.. Thanks all for your responses...happy trails
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:56:22 AM by Dan B »

Gene Pozniakoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »
I own two Rad City, one ST and my High Step. Trying to slow my cadence in top gear (7) and also increase the top speed a bit. Right now, the motor is limiting me to 24.6 mph in PAS 1, before it kicks in and starts to slow my cadence down with some resistance. I ordered a 130BCD-5 bolt 44 tooth chainring. Hopefully I will be able to maintain cadence in 7th gear while giving me a small boost on top speed. Stock chainring is a 42 tooth. Has anyone ever tried this approach?

Gene Pozniakoff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »
Received the 130 BCD 44 tooth chainring yesterday. Oops! Wrong size! The 130 is too small of a diameter. Must be a 140 BCD 44 tooth chainring. So, return and purchase the next attempt!

Dan B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »
Yes, you can easily paddle on radover e-bike at 3 with motor at 2 and 3 and it moves so smooth. Whereas i will suggest you to look at Boomerbeast 2 electric motorcycle as this bike is also very comfortable and the quality is best.
Thank you for your response. Very helpful. I have a Radrover and a Rad City currently on order. Hopefully sometime in August..