Author Topic: ebike speed when pedaling  (Read 6140 times)

Dan B

• View Profile
ebike speed when pedaling
« on: July 16, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »
Hello, I don't have an ebike yet, still on order but I have a question hopefully you can help. On a Radrover ebike, if I'm riding around town and want to travel lets say at 8 mph and just meander around and I set the gearing at 3 and the motor at 2 or even 3, can I pedal easily at 8 mph or will the motor try to push me along at a much higher speed then I want to travel?  I thought maybe this was what the Cadence sensor was for to adjust the power based on how fast you want to pedal, is this correct also??
Thank you...

1Eye

• View Profile
Re: ebike speed when pedaling
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »
My experience is that once you get to PA 3 and higher the motor response jumps fairly quickly compared to PS1 and 2.

I would say PS 2 will be your sweet spot and maybe even just PS 1 although I will say that at that low of a speed you probably don’t need any PS and could leave it on 0 and just throttle as needed.

The bikes are heavy and you’d think that you can’t pedal much with out PS but my wife recently went on a 30 min ride with no PS

JeffGo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I ride around the flat parts of my neighborhood and quickly get to 10-11 mph on PA2, so PA1 might be the right amount for 8 mph.

Rad Rider Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »
Just test rode the 5 and ST1 yesterday and played with just this very question. Found that at PAS2 or 3 in 3rd gear, the speed was around 11-13 mph. Figure that it depends on the grade and the terrain?

sloppy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
Its all gonna depend on you and the terrain.  for a slow ride I would use pas 1 and a middle gear... hills and you will play into the equation. 

I can use PAS 1 and do 20 on flats to... 

Dan B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
Just test rode the 5 and ST1 yesterday and played with just this very question. Found that at PAS2 or 3 in 3rd gear, the speed was around 11-13 mph. Figure that it depends on the grade and the terrain?
Thats what I was hoping to hear... Actually my normal speed around town is about 10-11 mph not 8,....so your answers are spot on.. Thanks all for your responses...happy trails
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:56:22 PM by Dan B »

Gene Pozniakoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:14:39 AM »
I own two Rad City, one ST and my High Step. Trying to slow my cadence in top gear (7) and also increase the top speed a bit. Right now, the motor is limiting me to 24.6 mph in PAS 1, before it kicks in and starts to slow my cadence down with some resistance. I ordered a 130BCD-5 bolt 44 tooth chainring. Hopefully I will be able to maintain cadence in 7th gear while giving me a small boost on top speed. Stock chainring is a 42 tooth. Has anyone ever tried this approach?

Gene Pozniakoff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:19:50 AM »
Received the 130 BCD 44 tooth chainring yesterday. Oops! Wrong size! The 130 is too small of a diameter. Must be a 140 BCD 44 tooth chainring. So, return and purchase the next attempt!

Dan B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
Yes, you can easily paddle on radover e-bike at 3 with motor at 2 and 3 and it moves so smooth. Whereas i will suggest you to look at Boomerbeast 2 electric motorcycle as this bike is also very comfortable and the quality is best.
Thank you for your response. Very helpful. I have a Radrover and a Rad City currently on order. Hopefully sometime in August..

GET

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
Wife and I are in our 70's, live in Kansas, we usually don't go over 1 pedal assist on flat ground and can maintain a speed of 10 - 15 mph easily (depends on the Kansas wind :) }.  The manual for our rad city suggests you keep a speed of 10 mph to keep the battery cool.  The key we found is that it is a bike so you work the gears and pedal assist together to get the speed and effort you want to use. You will love the bikes, we ride 20 or so miles per day and have a contest to see who can use the least pedal assist when we want some exercise.  Just enjoy.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »