News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

2020 Rad Rover 5 throttle question

Started by Dan B, July 14, 2020, 07:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Dan B

Hello, I currently have a new Rad Rover 5 on order and a City step through ordered for my wife. While looking at older pictures of 2018 and older I noticed they had throttle off/On Button. I noticed the newer ones did not. My question is, my wife may want to learn to ride first w/o the throttle (afraid she may accidentally turn it on) , is there a way on the new bikes to disconnect the throttle temporarily ? Thank you.. Dan B

Alaska Hwy Runner

As I understand it there is a way to temporarily disconnect the throttle.  Simply temporarily disconnect the throttle line (at throttle end) from the power.  I believe this is discussed on the ERB review of the new Rad Rover Step-Thru from last fall.   
However, as my girl friend has discovered (she is back on a bike for the first time in 25 years), the throttle is useful to get moving initially.  Your wife might find it helpful to use the throttle in the same manner.   In any case, have fun enjoying your new Rad Bikes   :).

RadJohn

My RadMini 4 has a 3-pin orange Higo type connector in the wire from the throttle, a few inches from the handlebar. Although easily disconnected, I'd worry about getting some kind of road/trail gunk in the loose ends, unless one goes to the trouble of blocking them off.

I'd also be leery of doing something like putting a few of wraps of blue painters tape around the joint between the throttle twist ring, and the outer fixed grip to temporarily immobilize it. Although easily removable later without leaving residue on the grips, there's always a chance the throttle could get activated in a panic twist, and get stuck on.

The sooner she gets used to the throttle the better, as it's one of the joys of owning a Rad. The throttle is your friend. It almost renders moot the old cyclists dilemma of not thinking ahead or just unexpectedly ending up in the wrong gear for a given situation, unable to shift down because lack of speed/high chain loading. An on/off switch on the throttle could easily make the bailout process more cumbersome/slower.

Also, the effect of using the throttle on the City will also be less "severe" as they are not as torquey as the gear motor  models.

fin_rad

Small indicator led light would be good showing when the throttle is activated. Because I have noticed when you have turned on your bike and accidentally twist the activated throttle while the bike is on stand, some funny things can happen... But as always we will learn after few mistakes - hopefully ;)

1Eye

fin_rad

That was funny. One of the first thing I thought about when my wife was getting on her bike.

JeffGo

Since our driveway slopes down towards the house, we always leave our gears in the wrong position for starting up the next time  :P I let my wife drive my new Rad City and told her she might want to use that throttle to get started up the drive!