Author Topic: Greetings from Ireland!  (Read 18966 times)

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Ireland!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
Hi

I think i spotted your bike parked up in Galway City recently (unless there's another v.similiar one about).
Anyway, I'm looking to get one (maybe a RadMission) for the school run but your comment about having to change the controller to be legal in Ireland has me concerned.

Is it difficult or expensive to do?

Thanks

Haven;'t logged in in a while, that could well have been me, though I've seen at least one other RR on the roads around town.

TBH, I wouldn't update the controller now, as the latest set of ebike regulations will mean the RR is compliant out of the box : https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40725216.html

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2022, 03:21:11 AM »
Still commuting on the RR, over the winter break I finally got around to fitting the Vee Speedsters, Urban Drivestyle metal fenders, and flat MTB handlebar.

The new tyres are far more comfortable on tarmac, and provide more grip in wet than I expected. New bar is more responsive than the BMX bars, though I'm more hunched over but I'm happy with the trade off.

I'm also working on replacing the stock light with a motorcycle style light, I'd like to mount the bracket to the front rack, but I need to find someone locally who can cut and fold one for me. The current plan is to connect a separate 12V Lithium pack (which I'm also building) to power it.

https://imgur.com/ePlJ9t7
If that works, I'll run a 12V rear light as well. If not, then I'll look into 48V-12V DC converters.

jannie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 05:54:07 AM »
just beautiful! I am also addicted to my scooter. I’ve put almost 100 miles on the scooter and
I’ve carried a lot of weight in groceries. There are reusable bags on the handlebars. Literally about 30+ pounds. Your pictures insist I go for an adventure with my gravel bike.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2022, 09:32:40 AM »
That looks like an old school Cafe racer. Beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2022, 03:41:29 AM »
Lost another controller to the rain, cycling through Storm Franklin took its toll. About 2000km done on that controller over the year. In hindsight, having such critical hardware slung low on the bike might not have been the best idea after all! 
​​​​​​​
Big shout out to Gareth in Big Game Bikes in the UK for helping me troubleshoot and ordering the replacement!

[VIDEO]https://i.imgur.com/4O1nQ91.mp4[/VIDEO]

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2022, 03:44:55 AM »
I had also been trying to find a way to run this 12V light form the controller: My solution was to extract the board from a cheap 6-60V LED light on Amazon.
It fought me every step of the way, but I made it work...

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2022, 10:05:39 AM »
I have totally enjoyed reading this thread. Keep on posting as it's informative and entertaining.

Very sorry you have had so many controller issues.

Fionn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2022, 03:26:15 PM »
I'm in a valley in South Tipp and while we have a nice Blueway along the river Suir it can get flooded easy enough, last month I went through a flooded path, I had visions of me pushing the bike out of the flood and stripping it down and drying it out but the bike held up ok!
 :D

meiwangir

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
hello

I am a fan of Radpower. i want to order a same model of radpower as you ordered . but I have a little worry, i dont know if the bike arrive as flat pack or completed build bike . if anybody knows ,please let me know. also I wonder any service partner in Dublin for Radpower

Fionn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2022, 03:03:16 PM »
hello

I am a fan of Radpower. i want to order a same model of radpower as you ordered . but I have a little worry, i dont know if the bike arrive as flat pack or completed build bike . if anybody knows ,please let me know. also I wonder any service partner in Dublin for Radpower

Hi,
I'm not sure which model you are thinking of, the one I got was a Rad Rhino 6 plus.

The bike ships from the Nederlands it comes in a big box the assembly is simple enough it has all the tools to do it, the front wheel has to be attached and the pedals and the front mudguard and light, thats about it.

Sorry don't know of any bike places in Dublin.

Tommo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »
We?ll Lads ordered radcity 5 on the weekend and as yea know all videos online are us spec 750w. How is the eu motor to go? Have seen videos where you can override the speed limit so plan on doing that. I?m about 95kg so slightly nervous the bike will crawl. Fionn how do you find your rhino 6? Also they estimated up to 15 days shipping but haven?t got a shipping email since order confirmation

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 03:35:58 AM »
The EU controller is fine, up to the 25kmh limit. the motor is the same as the NA model, and produces the same 90nm of torque.

Assembly just involved attaching the front wheel and adjusting the handlebar. It's a simple DIY job, though any bike shop should be able to help if you need it.

Tommo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 05:19:11 AM »
Sound, did you use a torque wrench as suggested in the vids? Or just go by hand? Got tracking number yesterday and label created but no estimated date yet.

Mosalad

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2022, 03:44:41 PM »
I was thinking of buying 2022 Rad Rhino 750W motor. You mentioned that your bike became legal in Ireland after the controller upgrade & new display. Please explain why! Does your bike require number plate, tax & insurance?

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 01:34:55 AM »
No plate/tax/insurance, it's still a bicycle.

I disabled the 6kph walk mode. Current legislation in Ireland does not stipulate max power level, only that pedalling is required, otherwise it's classed as a "mechanically propelled vehicle" under the Road Traffic Act.

That said, there are new regs in the pipeline to bring Irish law in line with the rest of the EU. That will limit max output to 250W.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 01:34:55 AM »