Author Topic: Greetings from Ireland!  (Read 18925 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Ireland!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »
Glad you're ok albeit with a little damage. I'd email Rad. Even though it isn't on their website maybe they have one they will sell you.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
Rad replied overnight, a replacement light is on the way!

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
A small addition today, but worth sharing. I ordered a handmade canvas pannier from a Belgian craftsman on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/treesizeverse) and it's arrived today. I think it's a beautifully made piece, and a great fit on the bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 02:08:09 AM »
Days are getting shorter here, so I'm not getting as many miles on the bike, though i passed the 1000km mark recently. It's a matter of getting the right window in the weather and making the most of it.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 04:00:14 AM »
Posting my updated settings here for reference:
P1 = 100 (this is standard for a Bafang motor with 20 magnets, and a controller with 5 PAS levels, 20*5=100)
P2 = 5 (pulse settings for calibrating speedo, this took trial and error, but gives the correct speedometer readout)
P3 = 0  (1= full power assistance from throttle, regardless of PAS level. 0 gives a relative ramp up in assistance, depends on PAS level selected) .
P4 = 1 (Throttle disabled, PAS only when pedalling)
P5 = 15 (Battery bar calibration, 15 is recommended for 48V batteries)
C1 = 3 (Pedal assist sensitivity, other values may work here)
C2 = 0 (Sine wave phase settings, you can leave this at zero for a Bafang 750W motor)
C3 = 8 (Power level on startup, 0-5 or 8 to remember what you left it as when you switched it off)
C4 = 0 (0: All the throttle, all the time 1: throttle to 6kph only without pedalling, for EU compliance. Since P4 is set to 1, this setting has no effect)
C5 = 10 (Maximum power output of controller)
C6 = 1 (Screen backlight settings. 5 is max brightness, but it's a bit distracting in the dark)
C7 = 1 (Cruise Control enabled)
C8 = 0 (motor temperature. This only works if the motor has a built in temp sensor, mine doesn't)
C9 = 0 (require PIN on startup)
C10 = n (reset factory default)
C11 = 0 ((protocol mode for communicating with USB programmer)
C12 = 4 (Minimum battery cutoff: 4 = 40V)
C13 = 0 (Regeneration level - not supported by my geared motor, left it at 0)
C14 = 3 (special sauce. PAS fine tuning. default is 2, 3 is mo powah, baby. Expect range to tumble)

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
I've over 1500km done on the bike by now. I've been able to do a few longer spins (50-60km) on the dry nights, as well a few trips into Galway city, where it has no problem keeping up with urban traffic, and lets me slip through the worst of the jams.

I took a spin to Clarinbridge to check out a singletrack loop at Kilcornan, where I discovered in this order:
a) this is not a mountainbike
b) this is heavy as f*ck
c) mud is coold at this time of year
d) I'd do much better on an MTB
e) hosing down an electric bike is risky.
f) jeans and runners are not suitable attire for offroad biking.

I got overenthusiastic with the hose cleaning the bike after Friday's trails, and blew the upgraded controller. The display reported a short-circuit and hall sensor error. I dried it out, but the damage has been done. So I Reinstalled the OEM controller, and cleaned the rest of the muck out. It's running again, but at less power.

I might have a go at repairing the controller, (cheapest replacement is £200…) but at least I'm back in action!

My next plan is to see if I can use the KT LCD3 display with the stock controller, and keep the odometer and speedometer functions.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »
The upgraded display doesn't log the distance I'm doing, which myain reason for using it, so I've reverted back to the stock RR1 display and controller (though I did tape over the connector to the motor so it doesn't, eh, cut out on me while I'm pedalling.)

I also caved in on payday and ordered another 35a kit from Big Game Bikes, but given they're on backorder, I'm not sure how long I'll be waiting. This comes with the colour display, so if anyone needs a KT LCD display, let me know!

First thing I'll do when I get it is waterproof the whole thing!

I've also had a second rear light fail, possibly also due to moisture (it's been fading over the past few weeks) but rather than get a second replacement, I've also ordered an Exposure rear light. I'll lose the brake light function, but I'm ok with just being visible at night.

I've also found the pedals aren't holding my paws in place as well as I'd like, especially in the wet, so I've also ordered a set of Nukeproof flat pedals which were highly rated by a few MTB friends.

It's gotten pretty cold here in Ireland, so finding opportunities to cycle when the backroads aren't iced up can be a challenge, but it's been a great way to escape from the house occasionally!

Parrsboro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »
Nice Ride,
Its fun to read your post and see how much you are into the customizing.
I just got my  first bike, and have not done a thing yet.
Keep up the good fun.

2020 Rad Wagon 4 - Black
2019 Rad Wagon 3 - White

bassinRN

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
I’ve been to Ireland a couple of times. The thought of riding the Connemara Loop on a Rad is heavenly. All of the mountains, sheep and loughs (lochs). Just beautiful! Be careful and enjoy!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing, always good to get an update on how things are going   :D

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 01:52:14 AM »
I'm still pedalling! I've about 2500km on the bike now, and going strong since the weather has improved.

I got the bike serviced, which included replacement of the rear pads, which were down to the metal.

mitch96

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 05:44:36 AM »
Hi folks, I've been using it to explore the byroads of County Galway ever since.

Hi, I love Love LOVE the west coast of Ireland and Galway it a treat! Ate near the Spanish bridge and just had a grand time in Galway, WestPort, and roaming around Achill Islands. I'm fortunate I have friends there. It would be neat to ride the Wild Atlantic Way.. Can you take an electric bike on the trail there?
mitch

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 09:05:14 AM »
Glad you liked it! It's a great corner of the world, I'm very lucky to get to live here.

Most of the WAW is regular road, so it's definitely cyclable.

There's also the Great Western Greenway from Westport out to Achill, which is on my list for the summer. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Greenway

Swoop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 08:11:09 AM »

Are you putting the Brooks on your ebike? I've heard so many good things about their saddles, are they really that superior? They sure do look great.
[/quote]

I love my Brooks saddles.  I had one on my Cannondale for over a year and after only 2 rides on my Rad Rover I ordered one for my Rover.  I installed it last week and I'm so happy I did.  They look uncomfortable but there isn't a better one available in my opinion and I've tried many!

new_to_ebikes

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Hi

I think i spotted your bike parked up in Galway City recently (unless there's another v.similiar one about).
Anyway, I'm looking to get one (maybe a RadMission) for the school run but your comment about having to change the controller to be legal in Ireland has me concerned.

Is it difficult or expensive to do?

Thanks

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »