News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Bolton Runner

Started by 992023515, July 12, 2020, 02:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Finally have all the Bolton Bike upgrades so decided to go off the deep end and install the motor, controller and lcd on my Runner. Yes the motor is a drop in replacement and the controller is zip tied to the skid plate till I have time to make better fitting one. That is about the only "drop in" part of the upgrade.

The motor can have a single speed sprocket or multi cassette, so the axle is about 3/8 inch wider then the original so a little lateral force is needed to get the shoulder washers into the correct place. Once those are in place the brake pads need to be adjusted out for better alignment. The derailer though is a little worse, needs to be mounted on the inside of the frame but still doesn't quite line up given the difference in the axle width.

Ok I'll quite whining and give you the info you really want. I thought the runner was fun but now it is even better. Quick off the start, max out at around 25 depending on the road and will climb hills with no problems. Hills that would drop the speed to 15 now I climb them at 20 pumping 1300 watts to the motor. Funnest darn bike ever!!!!

One last problem I had was getting the single speed sprocket off, that thing is on tight. Of course I didn't have the nut to make it easy but was able to mill one on the CNC and it still took a good three hours of struggling to get it off.

So in the end I'm happy with the upgrade but it is certainly not a drop in replacement. I'm thinking I can add a six speed cassette to it with a real derailer that would definitely make the bike more comfortable to pedal. The price is a little high but my E grin is even bigger now.

Ryan

I guess that is one way of getting around the limitations of a single-speed  8)

Let us know if you end up putting on a rear derailleur. I'm sure many would be interested to hear about how the install goes.

Another weekend for upgrades, this time I wanted to see if I could put on a 5 speed sprocket. The only real hurdle was finding a sprocket that had a large enough hole in the center to fit over the plug and nut. Pretty much ruled out anything over a six speed. Picked up the parts at the local Recyclery along with with seven feet of cable tubing.

Once again the sprocket was a challenge but having just putting it on and the handy tool I'd made wasn't near the struggle of the first time. Sprocket went on easily and the new derailuer is now located on the outside of the frame. Fished the tube through the frame up the the left handle where there was room for the shifter.

So I now have a 4 speed runner and it is a pleasure to pedal now even with pas at zero can cruise around with no problems. I say a 4 speed because I'm not able to get to fifth yet, the derailuer is completely horizontal in fourth so I need to add a longer chain.

Once again love the runner and the upgrades are just making it even better.

Ryan

Quote from: 992023515 on July 25, 2020, 06:46:25 PM
Another weekend for upgrades, this time I wanted to see if I could put on a 5 speed sprocket. The only real hurdle was finding a sprocket that had a large enough hole in the center to fit over the plug and nut. Pretty much ruled out anything over a six speed. Picked up the parts at the local Recyclery along with with seven feet of cable tubing.

Once again the sprocket was a challenge but having just putting it on and the handy tool I'd made wasn't near the struggle of the first time. Sprocket went on easily and the new derailuer is now located on the outside of the frame. Fished the tube through the frame up the the left handle where there was room for the shifter.

So I now have a 4 speed runner and it is a pleasure to pedal now even with pas at zero can cruise around with no problems. I say a 4 speed because I'm not able to get to fifth yet, the derailuer is completely horizontal in fourth so I need to add a longer chain.

Once again love the runner and the upgrades are just making it even better.

Nice work! Now we need some pictures.