News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

2017 Radwagon 48v 11.6ah battery alternative

Started by bsharp316, June 27, 2020, 12:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

bsharp316

I am a decades-long road cyclist, but I'm new to the e-bike world. I am seriously considering purchasing a friend's 2017 Radwagon, but his 48v 11.6ah battery will not charge over 50%. Radpower says they are out of stock of the 11.6ah batteries and also keeps any of the 11.6ah batteries they do get for warranty issues. Radwagon also says their 2018 and newer 14ah batteries will not work on the 2017 Radwagon. Has anyone had success upgrading a 2017 and earlier Radwagon battery with a newer aftermarket 48v battery? Will the original controller handle the additional amps? The controller on the Radwagon says its MAX CURRENT is 18amps with a RATED CURRENT of 9amps. I really want to buy the bike, but without a battery, it's no better than a boat anchor to me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. bsharp

fin_rad

A very good question. Ok, if things get really bad, you could always change the cells inside the battery case. Not cheap too, but the last plan B. Good side of these chinese ebike systems, you cannot do the same by yourself f.ex. with the Bosch's batteries.

Ryan

Sorry, I'm not sure on the controller. If it were me and it was a great deal I'd maybe look at the Bolton controller along with a battery. There have been a lot of upgrades since the 2017 model. That frame was all steel if I remember correctly.