News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Canadian Bikes changed to 750w

Started by kev12345, June 26, 2020, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

kev12345

Is there any way to unlock the full 750 watts of the motor on the Canadian bikes? they're software locked to 500 watts due to our lame regulations unfortunately. don't need a higher top speed but could definitely use a little more power on the hills.

1Eye

Since it is a controller I'm guessing you can't unlock it without a cable and software able to change the code. Might want to look at doing a Bolton controller upgrade.

ericwn

Are we sure the Canadian bikes have a different controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kev12345

I assumed they're the same parts, motor, controller etc, but software locked to max out at 500watts.

Ryan

From my digging, apparently putting a US display on a Canadian Rad Power Bike can help but the controllers on the US bikes put out more amps as well. So with a US display you can get just above 600 watts but to get the full 750 you need to replace both. Haven't confirmed myself obviously but perhaps this helps.

kev12345

thanks for the reply. I'll probably just go with the Bolton controller upgrade once the warranty has run its course. the 500watt city is a dog going up hills...

cheers

Chris777

Honestly the Ran Runner Plus at 500 watts is kind of lame. If it can't hit 750 I'm sending it back.

It's clearly built to be a 750 watt bike. If you live in Canada don't bother.

Chris777

DON'T BUY ONE IN CANADA.  33% of the power that they were designed/engineered to have is gone. They are pathetic. Better to buy something lighter designed for 500 watts locally.

ericwn

Chris, the issue is with the local legislation. In Europe there's even less power available for ebikes, just to provide some context.

You could work around that either with a more powerful controller and display combination or with a device like the egg rider which unlocks more of the bike's capability. I doubt Canadian police will stop you to run performance evaluations on your bike - if you don't drive like a lunatic in public that is.

I'm not sure what lighter ebikes you're referring to especially at the price point of a Rad.

Chris777

Eric, the bikes simply are not designed for the Canadian market. They suck. I tried some local ebikes and they were great by comparison power wise and cost about 500$ less. Rad are too under powered to be taken seriously in Canada. I would gladly keep the US version. But spending an additional 500$ to cahnge controllers when I could just go local and get more for less makes them pointless.

ericwn

Could you then point me to those bikes that you preferred, out of interest?

Personally I'm riding the wagon because for family bikes there isn't much competition in that price range, and the expensive mid drives I tested have no throttle and needed to be driven on the highest setting of pedal assist even on flat terrain.

Chris777

It seems local places have more options for evading the 500 watt limit. At 220 I need about 675 watts.500 is a battery assisted bike or you are a tiny person. My body is pretty high mileage and needs more. So I can get a custom 675 here for 2k$ that works much better than a Rad for 2800$. Rad runner with a passenger 1000 watts would be nice, 750 would be the bare minimum. I didn't try before I buy.

I'll send you a PM.

NaturallyRC

Same here. I'm interested in comparing bikes on the Canadian market. The Rad Mini, to me, is ideal, so far. The big tires, front shocks and low CG are custom-made for our winter-chewed-up roads, bike lanes, and bumpy bike paths. But I've got strong legs from decades of regular cycling, so the slope assist I get is plenty, plus slowing down for hills is something I take for granted. That said, I'm still getting used to the bike topping out at speeds lower than I would hit on my roadie, on the flat. But patience mitigates road rash, so there's that. And a higher watt motor won't change the top speed anyway, on flat ground.

Quote from: ericwn on March 18, 2022, 11:02:00 AM

ericwn

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 18, 2022, 02:13:42 PM
Same here. I'm interested in comparing bikes on the Canadian market. The Rad Mini, to me, is ideal, so far. The big tires, front shocks and low CG are custom-made for our winter-chewed-up roads, bike lanes, and bumpy bike paths. But I've got strong legs from decades of regular cycling, so the slope assist I get is plenty, plus slowing down for hills is something I take for granted. That said, I'm still getting used to the bike topping out at speeds lower than I would hit on my roadie, on the flat. But patience mitigates road rash, so there's that. And a higher watt motor won't change the top speed anyway, on flat ground.

Have you tried setting the top speed to the max? It won't do anything on a slope but on flat it's nice to get a few more km/h from the bike.

NaturallyRC

Good question. I'm running with all default out-of-the-box settings. If there is a way to increase max speed limit (without fudging wheel size) for sure let me know. Cheers...

Quote from: ericwn on March 18, 2022, 03:54:23 PM
Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 18, 2022, 02:13:42 PM

Have you tried setting the top speed to the max? It won't do anything on a slope but on flat it's nice to get a few more km/h from the bike.