News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Fixing a Flat on the rear wheel (Rad Rover 6 Plus)?

Started by Tree, September 06, 2022, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

I am moderately mechanically inclined. i.e., I can fix a flat on my front wheel.

I'm a bit more nervous on about fixing a flat on the rear wheel, because of all the other details involved - I am not about going 25 mph and having a wheel fall off because I effed up.

What experience have others had with fixing the flat on their rear wheels?

JedidiahStolzfus

I removed the rear wheel on my RR2 to install the fender.  I found it to be relatively easy.  I flipped the bike upside down, disconnected the motor connector.  Loosened the axle bolts and slipped it out and off the chain. 

When you put it back together, just make sure the wheel is straight and you tighten the axle nuts to the correct torquenitude.

Tree

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on September 06, 2022, 03:33:01 PM
I removed the rear wheel on my RR2 to install the fender.  I found it to be relatively easy.  I flipped the bike upside down, disconnected the motor connector.  Loosened the axle bolts and slipped it out and off the chain. 

When you put it back together, just make sure the wheel is straight and you tighten the axle nuts to the correct torquenitude.

i suppose i need a deviceitude that measures torquentude.

now to figure out what exactly i need device wise.

Radiculous

Just did my first rear wheel removal straight out of work in the parking lot at night.  Cut a couple of zip ties and disconnect the motor connector. Wrench the wheel and remove the tourqe arm hex bolt, tada!   I knew the day was coming when I had to do it, dreading every second.  It's actually easy peasy. Don't be afraid of it.

I didn't use a tourqe device,  just good n' tight on the axle, checking it after a few miles..

Tree

Quote from: Radiculous on September 06, 2022, 06:26:50 PM
Just did my first rear wheel removal straight out of work in the parking lot at night.  Cut a couple of zip ties and disconnect the motor connector. Wrench the wheel and remove the tourqe arm hex bolt, tada!   I knew the day was coming when I had to do it, dreading every second.  It's actually easy peasy. Don't be afraid of it.

I didn't use a tourqe device,  just good n' tight on the axle, checking it after a few miles..

good to know. I appreciate the words of encouragement.

david.platt@mac.com

40 nm or 29.5 ft lbs.

I used lock tight blue on the screw holding the torque arm.

Also don?t forget to replace the zip tie as others have seen their power cable ground up in the brake rotor.

Tree

WAY easier than expected. Frustrates me that I was so concerned about it - although I haven't taken it for a ride yet, so if the wheel falls off lol

(only super annoying part was the fact that my local hardware store didn't have 1/2 hex sockets, so I gotta go hit a chain store to make sure i torque the motor axle nut correctly. THAT being said, i'm not sure how to even measure the torque of the screw for the torque arm down to 2-3 nm...)

Tree

Quote from: Tree on September 08, 2022, 04:06:59 PM
WAY easier than expected. Frustrates me that I was so concerned about it - although I haven't taken it for a ride yet, so if the wheel falls off lol

(only super annoying part was the fact that my local hardware store didn't have 1/2 hex sockets, so I gotta go hit a chain store to make sure i torque the motor axle nut correctly. THAT being said, i'm not sure how to even measure the torque of the screw for the torque arm down to 2-3 nm...)

in fact, i completely struck out - went to the local store and TWO national chain hardware stores, and could not find an 18mm (or even a 3/4 inch) hex socket for 1/2 inch. (not to mention the torque arm screw issue)

JedidiahStolzfus

18mm isn't a terribly common size.  I've seen them used in cars, but not much elsewhere. 

If you can't find a torque wrench that does NM, you can convert it to ft lbs here: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/newton-meters-foot-pounds.php

Tree

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on September 08, 2022, 05:41:16 PM
18mm isn't a terribly common size.  I've seen them used in cars, but not much elsewhere. 

If you can't find a torque wrench that does NM, you can convert it to ft lbs here: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/newton-meters-foot-pounds.php

lol thanks.

i still need the stupid socket before i can do any of that.

Tree

meh. i'm not sure it matters at this point.

went out this morning to check my bike, and the new tube was flat. I hadn't even ridden it yet.

Tree

Quote from: Tree on September 09, 2022, 05:39:48 AM

went out this morning to check my bike, and the new tube was flat. I hadn't even ridden it yet.

brought the tire into REI to have them inspect it, because there had to be something in the tire I missed that led to the second flat.

First guy checked it, didn't find anything. Second guy checked it, and found the tiniest of splinters. TINIEST.

bought another new tube, got things reinstalled, and went for a test ride. Things seem hunky dory.

It had moments of frustration, but I'm feeling pretty accomplished about this, and have definitely gotten to know my bike better.

Radiculous

Quote from: Tree on September 09, 2022, 05:15:38 PM

brought the tire into REI to have them inspect it, because there had to be something in the tire I missed that led to the second flat.

First guy checked it, didn't find anything. Second guy checked it, and found the tiniest of splinters. TINIEST.

bought another new tube, got things reinstalled, and went for a test ride. Things seem hunky dory.

It had moments of frustration, but I'm feeling pretty accomplished about this, and have definitely gotten to know my bike better.

Yup. I found one in each tire and yanked them out. (GMD tires came as original equipment, not Kenda. )

I was still loosing air slowly, topping them off daily until FLATOUT made its appearance.

16 psi everyday and holding!

Tree

Quote from: Radiculous on September 09, 2022, 08:08:17 PM
Quote from: Tree on September 09, 2022, 05:15:38 PM

Yup. I found one in each tire and yanked them out. (GMD tires came as original equipment, not Kenda. )

I was still loosing air slowly, topping them off daily until FLATOUT made its appearance.

16 psi everyday and holding!

what bike are you riding with that psi?

Radiculous

what bike are you riding with that psi?
[/quote]

The Rover6. 15psi is the minimum for the GMD tires.