Author Topic: Radwagon 4 Controller Upgrade - PAS slow to engage.  (Read 1713 times)

Badmotivator11

• View Profile
Radwagon 4 Controller Upgrade - PAS slow to engage.
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
Hey Rad Pals!

I did the thing! Bolton controller upgrade and it?s so awesome. Torque and acceleration are much improved. 

My only gripe is that the PAS takes longer to engage since the upgrade. When at a standstill it takes almost 2 revolutions to kick on. 

I usually use the throttle to get the bike moving (and that?s pretty much all I use it for) but I?d like to be able to get into pedal assist faster. 

Anyone know if there is a setting for that?

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Radwagon 4 Controller Upgrade - PAS slow to engage.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 03:33:43 PM »
Try messing with C5 a bit, but note that it's not a single setting with 10 possible settings - it serves to control both power ramp-up as well as limiting maximum power if you wish.

I'd recommend trying C5 = 0, 1 or 2 to see if that helps; be gentle with rolling on the throttle until you get a feel for it.  Attached is a pic of several parameters I've used, but currently still using the May 25th set.

Note that these are for my MiniST2, so things like wheel diameter won't apply to all bikes, but it's a starting point.  Here's a link to the reference manual, which is poorly translated but should help guide you a bit on what settings are available:  https://www.emotoer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/KT-LCD8H.pdf
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 03:35:52 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Badmotivator11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Try messing with C5 a bit

Thanks for the reply! I thought C5 was just for the max wattage. Does it also control how soon PAS kicks in?

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I thought C5 was just for the max wattage. Does it also control how soon PAS kicks in?

I don't know; the "documentation" isn't clear or well-translated on a lot of aspects.  Best thing is to give it a try and see if it works for you.  It's easy to feel how it affects throttle rampup and power limiting, but I didn't test for PAS responsiveness, although I noticed no problems with PAS and I don't think I ever tried a value of 4 because I didn't experiment with power limiting much.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:49 AM »
Setting C1 controls PAS response time. I believe some ship with C1 set to 0. I change mine to 3.
I have a manual which is more detailed than most, but it is very confusing in this particular setting.
From experimentation on C1:
0=slow response
1=medium response
2=high response
3=highest response

4=reverse rotation, slow response
5=reverse rotation, medium response
6=reverse rotation, high response
7=reverse rotation, highest response

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 06:29:01 AM »
I had this same problem. I now have C1 set to 5 which works fine for me. 

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:03:03 AM »
Setting C1 controls PAS response time. I believe some ship with C1 set to 0. I change mine to 3.

Thanks for jumping in, man!  I'd forgotten about C1, yet there it is in my chart image above, set to 3 as well.  I don't think I've ever played with changing it.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum