News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radwagon: Has anyone used the rear rack bolt holes to add a rack/basket?

Started by jbroehl, August 29, 2022, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jbroehl

Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas: I take my two kids (5 and 3) to and from school most days with my Radwagon. They fill up all available space on the back so my only storage for kids' bags is the one front basket. I'm wondering if it's possible to use these two bolt holes on the rear of the rack. They're not threaded so I don't know what they were designed for (handling during mfg process?). But they look like they could support a small rack and/or basket combo with the right hardware. Picture a milk crate sized basket (or literally a milk crate) directly behind that kids seat. Curious if anyone has gotten further along with this possibility. Thanks,

Ddaybc

Do so at your own risk but I think, with a bit of caution, one could use those "bolt holes" to mount a light weight basket behind your kids. Probably all one would have to do is secure it in such a way it doesn't bounce or swing as you're riding.
I never noticed them before so I checked on my RW4 and they are hollow tubes. Given the RW4 is a steel frame one could also easily thread them and simply use a bolt instead of a nut and bolt. I have no idea what they're for. They are also situated on the front of the rack. ??

joeliniowa

You could do the engineering on the thread, thread length, weld analysis, but honestly more than a few pounds (bouncing around) would probably tax them.  Poke RAD support, what are they for? ...  I'd put a license plate there, personally. My Runner Plus, doesn't have them, tho most of the RW4 stuff fits.  The big platform, 1 baby seat, big basket etc... fits the RR+.
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.