News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

SOLVED Need a lil help - F15 Replacement Key

Started by PNWRADMAN, August 25, 2022, 06:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

PNWRADMAN

Quick update: I was able to use a key from another Rad Bike (Radcity) by slowly inserting and turning and worked like a charm.  Its interesting the Radcity keys work just fine locking the battery but takes some extra loving care to unlock/turn on.

Hello Rad Family!  Lost my F15 keys and not sure how long it will take to get a replacement.  Anyone in the Bellevue/Seattle-area that is willing to let me borrow their keys so I can make a duplicate?  I am more than happy to provide proof of ownership of my bike to confirm its not stolen.  Thank you in advance.

Rover

I may not understand the problem but since you?re in the Seattle area why not pop in to the RAD site and get the new keys?

JimInPT

Which Rad bike are you referring to?  If it's one from the previous generation (not the newer semi-integrated designs AFAIK), there's about a 98% chance this blank key from eBay will unlock your battery and operate your bike:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124705979958 

There are implications for protecting your battery once you realize how easy they are to steal.  I only carry a blank now, to show/warn other Rad owners.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

PNWRADMAN

Thanks @JimInPT, Radrunner 2.  I did see those blank key options but seems to only work on the Radrunner 1.   I did order a replacement set online but customer service it might take awhile given the current sales event.  Hoping I can find someone with an F15 key to duplicate.  I got a Radcity 4 but those keys dont work on Radrunner 2.

radex5owner

Which Rad bike are you referring to?  If it's one from the previous generation (not the newer semi-integrated designs AFAIK),
JiminPT, how do you know if you have a previous get or the semi-integrated one...I have a RAD expand 5?

PNWRADMAN

@radex5owner - For the Radrunner 2 bike

JimInPT

Quote from: radex5owner on August 26, 2022, 11:01:17 AMJiminPT, how do you know if you have a previous get or the semi-integrated one...I have a RAD expand 5?

They're easy to tell apart just from the appearance - the previous batteries were the bigger lump-like "shark" batteries that sit completely on top of the battery mount on the frame.  The newer ones are slimmer, I think longer and fit halfway into the frame - I think the new Rover and City models are the only ones so far to use this battery and I doubt the lock mechanism is the same.

The blank keys should work fine on an Expand since it uses the same battery as the Minis it replaces (to my great disappointment; there's not a single thing about them that's better than the MiniST2 in my opinion).  Note that I've heard that the blanks don't work 100% on all that style batteries, but I have yet to find one that didn't work.  Definitely worth a few bucks to buy one or two to see if it works on your bike.

It's possible that Rad has finally updated the lock mechanism on the Expand batteries to eliminate this major defect - I can't recall if anybody here has tried a blank key on one.  Rad has known about this problem for around two years at least, I believe.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.