News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rear view camera vs. mirror

Started by ag4go, August 22, 2022, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ag4go

I just purchased a new RadRover 6 +. Should be here soon. I am thinking about a rear view camera instead of a mirror but I don't have any experience with the camera. Looking for input.

Thanks

Jay West

I have a camera and a mirror on my Rad City 5 Plus and I think the combo works good together.  The camera does close up fairly well and the mirror gives you distant and medium range.

I sure would not do away with the mirror and I have gotten use to the the camera.  if I chose one I would go for the mirror because the camera is not very good at distance.  My opinion.

joeliniowa

camera name, model - price... Please :)
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

ag4go

camera name, model - price... Please :)

I haven't chosen a vendor or model for either. Trying to decide which direction to go first. So far a mirror seem to make the most sense but I will wait and get a few more responses.

Jay West

This is the one I bought.

https://amzn.to/3KnnGu3

bagrider91

I'd be worried about glare on the screen vs a mirror but it does seem like a good way to see right behind you.

Altema

The one I have has a satin finish on the screen, so glare is rarely an issue. I ordered it off of Amazon as well, but it appears to no longer be available.
Regarding mirrors versus camera, both have their strong points. Daylight visibility, despite the lack of glare, is not great on the camera display. At night, the mirrors are almost useless on dark trails, and the camera has night vision. There have been several times an animal has come out of the woods at night and chased me, and with the camera's night vision I can see what it is. With only the mirrors, I just hit the throttle and flee! So my preference is Corky bar-end mirrors for day (they hide!), and the camera for night.

For right now, I removed the display and only use the mirrors because my handlebars were so cluttered, and I don't need night vision for group rides. I left the camera and its wiring on the bike just in case, but my solo rides at night have become rare since I have to get up at 4am for work!

Radiculous

Personally, I would invest in a mirror without hesitation.  While a cockpit cam is koolbeans, it's vulnerable to failure.

I use 2 CORKY Urban Bike Folding  Rear-view Handlebar Mirrors. They are tiny and take some getting used too.
I have the road side adjusted so I can see an object in the mirror and  my peripheral simultaneously. While the  curbside is angled enough inward so I can see my bike rack and beyond.

https://amzn.to/3fdWdj4

If one gets busted, your still good to go.  If that one doesn't survive either, at least I'll have a mirror fragment that can be used with some kind of mounting hack.

ag4go

Now the results, It appears that the camera i better for night rides and mirrors are better for daytime hours which fits my need. I went ahead and bought a mirror and am very happy with it. saved some money for other cool stuff for my bike.

jbfoster

The rear camera looks cool but I prefer a mirror. besides I got so much on my bars I don't the display will fit any where.