News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Multi Battery mounts using the DATEX-2 OR -3

Started by joeliniowa, August 22, 2022, 05:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Quote from: JimInPT on August 31, 2022, 07:29:07 AM
Quote from: Altema on August 31, 2022, 07:16:23 AMI've only used a third battery a couple of times

Yeah, something like that 🤣🤣🤣

Interestingly, there is a group ride coming up locally that set the requirements as "Must be able to maintain at least 30mph for at least 60 miles".
The ride is from downtown to a cider mill 28 miles away, then back, and the rest stops along the way have no working power outlets.
I think I'll be using that third battery after all, lol.

joeliniowa

Quote from: Si1Dia on September 14, 2022, 05:09:46 PM
I have the DateX3 on my Rover 6+ with the stock battery and 2 rad external batteries on the rear rack. I went from a 9-12v of voltage sag to 1.5v voltage sag with this setup. this is now a hill-climbing beast. And I can run the bike off of any one of the battery locations or combination of them.

Did RAD send you mounts?  I talked to someone there one day & they were NASTY and said they only would sell the battery, not the bracket! Where did you get your X3?

I've found a couple templates to 3D Print on Thingiverse.  I added some extra's to my printer.  Now I have to self edit the configurations for it.  Ahh, ain't IT great?   

Thanks,  JLH
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: joeliniowa on September 19, 2022, 08:38:19 AM
I have the DateX3 on my Rover 6+ with the stock battery and 2 rad external batteries on the rear rack. I went from a 9-12v of voltage sag to 1.5v voltage sag with this setup. this is now a hill-climbing beast. And I can run the bike off of any one of the battery locations or combination of them.

Did RAD send you mounts?  I talked to someone there one day & they were NASTY and said they only would sell the battery, not the bracket! Where did you get your X3?

I've found a couple templates to 3D Print on Thingiverse.  I added some extra's to my printer.  Now I have to self edit the configurations for it.  Ahh, ain't IT great?   

Thanks,  JLH

I know which model you're talking about, I considered printing it too, but I'd have to break it into 2 pieces and then come up with a way to put them back together.  It's just a bit too big for my printer.

Si1Dia

Thanks,  JLH

I was able to order the mounts from Rad with no problems. But I do have Rad bikes that could use them on my account.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on September 19, 2022, 11:07:01 AM

Thanks,  JLH

I know which model you're talking about, I considered printing it too, but I'd have to break it into 2 pieces and then come up with a way to put them back together.  It's just a bit too big for my printer.

I just got done modding that model.  It will have a pair of aluminum strips on the back to keep it rigid and it's broken into two pieces that fit together like a puzzle piece.  Those two pieces can be super glued (I'm printing it in ABS).  It will mount to the bottle holder on my RR2.  I'll post pictures when its' done.  It's a 14+ hour print at extra fine.

JedidiahStolzfus

Thanks,  JLH

Warning, before anyone prints that model and waste time and materials, double check the tab openings on the model with your battery.  I've found that the openings are a few mm too small.  I can make it work with my prototype modification, but it will need to be changed in the model itself before printing.

JedidiahStolzfus

With a little trimming, I was able to get it to fit the battery.  I'm going to have to reprint it though because the center slot is too narrow.  I fit it for an M4 screw, not an M5 screw.  No biggie, just another 14 hours of printing.  Maybe I'll do the next one on draft, I didn't really notice I had it set to ultra-fine when I stared the last one.

Just holding it up to the bike, I think it'll work just fine on the bottle holder.

JedidiahStolzfus

Here is pretty much the final product.  The hardware isn't right, but I have the correct ones coming in later today.  I used 3/16" mild steel as the support plates behind the plastic.  I'll paint it eventually so it doesn't rust.  It feels sturdy enough but I can't actually test it, because I only have one battery for now.
This model took about 9 hours to print at 1.5mm layer heights.  I'll post it to Thingiverse later.  I'll also have a model that's all one piece for those with bigger printers.