Author Topic: Chain keeps falling off  (Read 2368 times)

dgoldsmithvt

• View Profile
Chain keeps falling off
« on: August 16, 2022, 10:35:51 AM »
Our Rad Mission is about 6 months old and has recently been having the chain come off the tensioner cogs and the rear sprocket.  Happens almost every time we ride it, often when we go over a bump.  Is there a way to adjust the tensioner so it gives more tension to the chain?  Thanks!

Brandon

• View Profile
Re: Chain keeps falling off
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:17:38 PM »
https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800194270-RadMission-Chain-Tensioner-Replacement-Guide

This shows the removal and replacement, but it's fundamentally similar. You want to unbolt the tensioner from the frame. Then if you see step #2 under "Install" that there is an indexing pin on the tensioner that fits into one of 5 holes in the frame. This is how you adjust the tension, by selecting the next hole that tightens up the chain.

Mooree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 08:38:42 PM »
If there has been an instance that your chain has fallen off the cassette, you should check if any links have been bent. In case, the bike chain keeps popping caused by your chain is already worn out, the best and safer solution is to simply replace your chain with a newer and more durable ones. The cost may range from $15 to $60 depending on the shift quality.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 02:57:46 AM by Mooree »

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 05:38:47 PM »
https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800194270-RadMission-Chain-Tensioner-Replacement-Guide

This shows the removal and replacement, but it's fundamentally similar. You want to unbolt the tensioner from the frame. Then if you see step #2 under "Install" that there is an indexing pin on the tensioner that fits into one of 5 holes in the frame. This is how you adjust the tension, by selecting the next hole that tightens up the chain.

I liked your link. The chain on my Radmission works fine after 750 miles, mostly at PAS 0 or 1. The photo shows the position of my tensioner. If dgoldsmithvt's problem isn't spring adjustment, maybe the tensioner got knocked out of position or the chain somehow got threaded wrong. (Removing the back wheel of my Radrunner required removing the tensioner. Getting the chain threaded through properly was always a puzzle.)

Keith Haddad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »
Any luck getting the bike fixed.  So far I have pretty good service from people at VeloFix....
I have a problem that mine completely broke from the frame of the bike.  I need to get a whole new one so Im looking to see if there is any compatible with this bike because I want to try a different brand than stock.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »