News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Semi-Integrated SURFACE MOUNTED Fuse

Started by Jayrider, August 20, 2022, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jayrider

Has Anyone done a successful replacement on one of the new surface mounted fuses in the black wrapped Semi-Integrated batteries? 

Looking for tips on a repair.   Like many of you who have experienced this issue with me, I am tired of my $2400 (CAD) paperweight. --its a bit more than I typically budget for that purpose.

Rover

Several YouTube videos illustrate how to replace the fuse.

rjp

I haven't seen any videos on the surface mounted, soldered in fuses yet.   

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: rjp on August 20, 2022, 06:13:46 PM
I haven't seen any videos on the surface mounted, soldered in fuses yet.   

If you can get to the fuse, it shouldn't be difficult to replace.  The problem is the lead free solder that's used.  It's difficult to remove, it doesn't flow in solder wick.  The easiest way to remove it is to carefully flow some good solder in with the bad solder, and then it will wick, but it will still be difficult.  That can all be done with a common fine tip soldering iron.  You do have to be careful that you don't short anything out while you're wicking it.

If the battery can be disconnected from the circuit board before you start, do that.  If not, be very careful.

I have not been inside one of these packs, but removing SMD parts is difficult, but not impossible.  Once you get the part removed, flow some more good solder onto the pads, and wick it back off.  That will make sure you get all the bad solder off.  Then flow some good solder back onto the pads.  Then you can solder the fuse into place.

Be careful that you don't scratch up the board while you're trying to remove the old solder.  Also, don't overheat the pad, that can cause the pad to delaminate from the board.  It can be fixed if you do that, but it's far more difficult.

If you hands aren't steady, don't attempt this.  Soldering SMDs is precise work.