Author Topic: Looking for info on Rad Batteries  (Read 2173 times)

hemlock

• View Profile
Looking for info on Rad Batteries
« on: August 14, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Hello, I?m looking for information on Rad batteries, specifically

Radwagon 4: RP-1304 13INR19/65-4 14Ah 672Wh Manufacturer DLG
Radrunner 1: YT48132-QB-E 14Ah 672Wh

Both 48vAh 672wh not sure if the same cells.

I have read through this thread https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1025.0.html , but I?m trying to find the rating for continuous amps, max amps and max regen amps. Are the aftermarket controllers pulling 35A from a stock battery? Is the regen amp limit the same as the discharge limit?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:48:54 PM by hemlock »

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
Re: Looking for info on Rad Batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 05:33:41 AM »
The best source of the type of information that you want will be from the cell manufacturer's specifications. Keep in mind in the Standard Rad battery there are 4 cells in parallel. So, for example, multiply cell maximum continuous discharge current of 8,000 mA x 4 yields 32A. Max amps is going to be limited by the 40A fuse. As far as I can tell, the BMS allows up to 50A. Max regen (charge current) 8A but not for cycle life. 

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
Thanks DickB, good info!
I ran the 35 amp controllers using the stock battery with no issue, but the controller peaked higher (1741 watts to the stock motor) if I ran aftermarket or dual batteries in parallel.

joeliniowa

• On a RAD since 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »
Rad keeps their true/real technical specifications very tight.  They will barely tell you the size of a nut!  Really I wanted to get a HexLox system.  They offered NO LIST, and I had to measure each one myself.  A real PIA.

I tried to talk to someone just today on the support line.  I forgot it was "noon in Seattle" and waited 35 minutes on my 1st hold.  That person made the comment about my inquiry on an extra battery "as just strange"  she said it twice!  Then she denied saying it...After another 10 minute hold, I got some guy, he was even pissier.  I'm a life long Iowan, I've done tier 1-5 IT Systems support.  I'm a nice guy.  The guy said they probably wouldn't even sell me a battery since they had my "non-specification" use of their equipment, in the call log.  I asked for a Supervisor... CLICK!   I asked for a call back from a sales supervisor, 5 hours.... we'll seee about tomorrow.  Battery mounts are a defect replacement ONLY.  Not an order-able item!

I've been working with these folks 2 years, 2 bikes, never a snort & getting 2 AH's in the same call I just wanna scream!

I got a battery from Gareth at Biggamebikes.com.  He's in the UK, but batteries are DIRECT SHIPPED to you for free.  Not the extra $100 Rad tacks on...  He's good, smart, growing... email him, say Joel in Iowa sent you!   He also sells the "magic" don't blow up your battery DATEX devices.

Batteries are a wild place to play.  You don't need to be an EE, you just need to watch YouTubes and read articles.   GOOD LUCK, keep in touch!
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 11:02:57 AM »
Rad keeps their true/real technical specifications very tight.  They will barely tell you the size of a nut!  Really I wanted to get a HexLox system.  They offered NO LIST, and I had to measure each one myself.  A real PIA.

I tried to talk to someone just today on the support line.  I forgot it was "noon in Seattle" and waited 35 minutes on my 1st hold.  That person made the comment about my inquiry on an extra battery "as just strange"  she said it twice!  Then she denied saying it...After another 10 minute hold, I got some guy, he was even pissier.  I'm a life long Iowan, I've done tier 1-5 IT Systems support.  I'm a nice guy.  The guy said they probably wouldn't even sell me a battery since they had my "non-specification" use of their equipment, in the call log.  I asked for a Supervisor... CLICK!   I asked for a call back from a sales supervisor, 5 hours.... we'll seee about tomorrow.  Battery mounts are a defect replacement ONLY.  Not an order-able item!

I've been working with these folks 2 years, 2 bikes, never a snort & getting 2 AH's in the same call I just wanna scream!

I got a battery from Gareth at Biggamebikes.com.  He's in the UK, but batteries are DIRECT SHIPPED to you for free.  Not the extra $100 Rad tacks on...  He's good, smart, growing... email him, say Joel in Iowa sent you!   He also sells the "magic" don't blow up your battery DATEX devices.

Batteries are a wild place to play.  You don't need to be an EE, you just need to watch YouTubes and read articles.   GOOD LUCK, keep in touch!

Which battery did you get from Big Game (link to the specific one of you got it), and for which bike did you order it for?

joeliniowa

• On a RAD since 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »
It was a year ago or so.  Gareth suggested to me the 17A battery.  I could afford it, it worked well, until my RW4 got boosted. :(  He's a RAD owner, and has a section of his collection devoted to RAD bikes.  Email him, he's on GMT so phone calls to North America are a scheduling issue.  He's got family too!  A good and nice guy to work with.  Tell him I sent you! :)
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »