Author Topic: Bolton/Area 13 35a controller mounting options  (Read 1483 times)

ThePennster

• View Profile
Bolton/Area 13 35a controller mounting options
« on: August 13, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »
Hi all! After much reading and research, I bought the 35a controller for my RW4. I?ve seen people zip tying the controller, or some are handy with woodworking and create a platform, and others have a 3D printer which is next level for me. For those of you that did this without making your own platform, how did you mount the controller? Just trying to get some ideas and options. I may zip tie it for now until I get something permanent, but wanted to see what the community has come up with. Thanks!

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
Re: Bolton/Area 13 35a controller mounting options
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 02:28:47 PM »
Hi all! After much reading and research, I bought the 35a controller for my RW4. I?ve seen people zip tying the controller, or some are handy with woodworking and create a platform, and others have a 3D printer which is next level for me. For those of you that did this without making your own platform, how did you mount the controller? Just trying to get some ideas and options. I may zip tie it for now until I get something permanent, but wanted to see what the community has come up with. Thanks!

This might help even if the install is on a Radrover,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUIDE8O8EI

This guy also has other video's on Rads and controllers,

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
I bought one of those plastic battery cases for the new 35A controller for my MiniST2, but using it wouldn't allow enough room to also use the U-lock I have to protect the battery from blank-key theft.  So I went without the case and just silicone-RTV'd the seams as cheap insurance even though it has a gasket.  That's the white schmutz you see in the photos below - once it fully cured I used a solder-flux brush to break off and whisk that junk off so it looks better now.

As for mounting, it's strapped to the tube with heavy-duty UV-resistant zipties (https://amzn.to/3bU01ET), with this heavy-duty velcro in between the tube and controller to keep it from shifting and damp a bit of vibration:  https://amzn.to/3pmG6RP

If somehow both zipties broke, I'm confident the HD velcro alone would hold it in place, even though the contact patch against the tube is 1/2" wide at most - that stuff is STRONG, as is the adhesive backing on both sides.

And thumbs-up for Paul's referral above to CC's video - highly recommend his site; his vids are fun and useful to watch even if not directly applicable to you.  His latest Rover mutation is a fire-breathing monster of a bike now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 07:05:56 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »