Author Topic: My new Rad5 is a total piece  (Read 2320 times)

Treefriend

• View Profile
My new Rad5 is a total piece
« on: August 12, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »
First it had battery issues right out of the box and now my bike won't stay on. It turns on then the number 30 flashes on the display and it shuts down.

Note control panel showed one bar, battery was at 5 or 6 bars.
And yes, I checked all the connections and they were fine.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:56:29 AM by Treefriend »

Hanko374

• View Profile
Re: My new Rad5 is a total piece of fucking shit
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 09:01:19 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I went thru a similar situation with not only one but two bikes. Both were for the most part DOA and in both cases it was due to bad controllers. I must say Rad provided new controllers but you have to get them changed. Some serious quality issues. Once rectified everything works fine, well until today. 260 mile later I go to check my tires for air pressure and I note I have a crack in the front tire firewall. Checked my rear tire and cracks are appearing there as well. Tire inflation was always in spec, I don't exceed the weight limit and at 75 yrs old I don't do any off road biking, always on paved rail trails.

pjiaria

• View Profile
Re: My new Rad5 is a total piece
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
CS will send a new controller... you must install it.

suspci

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 02:05:06 PM »
That's what warranties are for ;)

momomentous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 01:53:56 AM »
I haven't bought a Rad yet but am thinking about the Rad City 5 Plus. I've enjoyed the great Rad reviews by Ebike Escape.  I called the local shop where I live that is one of the official Rad assembly sites (if I decide not to assemble myself) and he said he is having many problems with the Rad City 5 Plus and the Rad Rover (which is now on sale until Oct 31, 2022). He said the electrical harnesses on both are messed up and he has had to replace a number of them. Some don't work right off the bat and some go bad after the customer has picked it up. He said he has had zero issues with the Rad Runners. The trouble is I don't want a Rad Runner! From the complaints I see here it sounds like others are having issues recently with the Rad City 5 Plus. Once fixed, he said that things work but I don't want to hassle with a lemon right from the start.

This bothered me! Just an FYI.

jcvdd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »
I haven't bought a Rad yet but am thinking about the Rad City 5 Plus. I've enjoyed the great Rad reviews by Ebike Escape.  I called the local shop where I live that is one of the official Rad assembly sites (if I decide not to assemble myself) and he said he is having many problems with the Rad City 5 Plus and the Rad Rover (which is now on sale until Oct 31, 2022). He said the electrical harnesses on both are messed up and he has had to replace a number of them. Some don't work right off the bat and some go bad after the customer has picked it up. He said he has had zero issues with the Rad Runners. The trouble is I don't want a Rad Runner! From the complaints I see here it sounds like others are having issues recently with the Rad City 5 Plus. Once fixed, he said that things work but I don't want to hassle with a lemon right from the start.

This bothered me! Just an FYI.
If I may suggest that you look into the Aventon Level 2. Very similar to the Rad City 5, but a much better overall commuter e-bike. Good Luck.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »