News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad City Regeneration Query

Started by Bob Morton, June 05, 2020, 09:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Bob Morton

Hi
I have a new Rad City. I've found that the regen numbers on the watt meter display only show that I'm regenerating when I crank down hard on the brake lever.
Basically I show some regen only when I hit the brakes hard enough to stop. Effectively no power recovery at all.
I live in a hilly area so, ideally, I'd like to just tap the brake handle and be able to get some power back as I'm descending a hill.
Is there  a fix for this or am I stuck with no power recovery.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob

Ryan

Quote from: Bob Morton on June 05, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
Hi
I have a new Rad City. I've found that the regen numbers on the watt meter display only show that I'm regenerating when I crank down hard on the brake lever.
Basically I show some regen only when I hit the brakes hard enough to stop. Effectively no power recovery at all.
I live in a hilly area so, ideally, I'd like to just tap the brake handle and be able to get some power back as I'm descending a hill.
Is there  a fix for this or am I stuck with no power recovery.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob

Hi Bob, you should check out this page from Rad - in particular "When is Regenerative Braking Limited?": https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045171734-Riding-Rad-with-Regenerative-Braking

From my understanding the same signal that is sent to the motor to stop when you brake is the same one that tells the motor to regen. That will probably help you better determine when the regen has actually started. Then you can adjust brakes if need be.

Bob Morton

Thanks for the input. I'll have to try the recommendation. I loosened the cable and was able to get a regen number at about half way from neutral. However, the brakes engage at the same time.
Ideally what I'm after is pulling the brake handle only a bit to just activate energy recovery, and then if I want to stop,pulling harder the pads engage the disk.
Right now, the brakes engage. Lots of energy lost on down hills that could be recovered just using the motor to slow you down.
I'll check with Rad tech because the recommendations aren't clear.
Bob

Ryan

Quote from: Bob Morton on June 22, 2020, 07:19:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll have to try the recommendation. I loosened the cable and was able to get a regen number at about half way from neutral. However, the brakes engage at the same time.
Ideally what I'm after is pulling the brake handle only a bit to just activate energy recovery, and then if I want to stop,pulling harder the pads engage the disk.
Right now, the brakes engage. Lots of energy lost on down hills that could be recovered just using the motor to slow you down.
I'll check with Rad tech because the recommendations aren't clear.
Bob

Sounds good, let us know what you find out. I think the battery recharge you get from regen is minimal. Plus it looks like Rad is going with geared hub motors - we'll see if they change out the RadCity with the next generation.

Gene Pozniakoff

Try backing the pads out 1 or 2 clicks. My regen initiates at 1/3 pull front and 1/2 pull rear brake. Micro adjust cable with barrel adjustor. I use it often, and can gain a bar, sometimes two. Btw, did 29 miles today, pas 2, flat gravel, only used one bar of battery. Best of luck.

Andy Finney

Quote from: Gene Pozniakoff on June 27, 2020, 01:28:31 PM
Try backing the pads out 1 or 2 clicks.

I just followed Gene's suggestion and did this on my RadCity ST. I get regen about 1/3 to half a pull on the brake levers. Full braking occurs about 2/3 pull.