Author Topic: Battery Mistake  (Read 3117 times)

Rover

• View Profile
Battery Mistake
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:14:06 PM »
I was removing the Rover 6 battery for charging and touched the key against the power source input instead of the battery release lock. A spark went off. I then proceeded to charge the battery as usual. BUT--the green light on the charger went on instead of the red light which means the battery is fully charged, which isn't the case. The levels of charge on the PAS says it's down 3 bars of power and the light on the battery shows it's down one bar of charge. It appears the battery is not charging because it's been on over an hour and since it wasn't drawn down very much the charge shouldn't take long. At least it hasn't previously when I've ridden the same miles as today.

My other bike is a City 5 Plus with the identical battery and until today--the batteries behaved exactly the same ways when charging.

I fear my error damaged the battery. Is there someplace I can take it to have it examined and repaired if needed? I've only had the bike a few weeks.

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
Re: Battery Mistake
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »
Blew a fuse, look to see if it can be replaced on that unit.

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 05:38:07 PM »
Rover, sounds like your another victim of Rads bad battery design. I hope you can either repair your battery or find someone that can. Or you'll have to buy a new battery. Good Luck!

Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:10:41 PM »
Several YOuTube videos show how to replace the fuse on the semi-integrated battery. But it's above my pay grade. Hoping I can find an adventurous electrician. Thanks for the responses and good wishes.

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:39:06 PM »
Post a link to the video, I'll see what it would take. 

If it's not epoxied into place inside the casing, it can't be too difficult.

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 03:44:50 AM »
Newer Rad semi-integrated batteries use surface mount fuses soldered to the BMS board. Wrapped in black plastic. Older ones are wrapped in blue plastic with more easily replaceable fuses, which can be replaced without completely disassembling the battery. I've not seen a video on replacing the newer version fuses. It can be done, but will take considerably more work.

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
Newer Rad semi-integrated batteries use surface mount fuses soldered to the BMS board. Wrapped in black plastic. Older ones are wrapped in blue plastic with more easily replaceable fuses, which can be replaced without completely disassembling the battery. I've not seen a video on replacing the newer version fuses. It can be done, but will take considerably more work.

I've replaced that type of fuse before.  It takes some work because of the lead free solder that they use.  Normally have to flow some good solder in with the lead free so that it can be removed, then replace the part with good solder.  Did the black/blue stuff seem to be soft or hard in the video?  If it's soft, then it's probably just hot melt glue that can be heated with a heat gun and then gently pulled off. 

Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »
Does anyone have suggestion of who I might contact to make the repair? I'd prefer to avoid the shipping encounter. I live in the Portland/Vancouver area so it's a large region with lots of electrical businesses. Just not sure where I might go.

Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 03:57:20 PM »
I found an Bike guy who repairs batteries. Missioned accomplished.

joeliniowa

• On a RAD since 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 11:01:20 PM »
There is another discussion on this topic, right now.  RPB's has some poor sole humping through hours of photos & documents, including the weather (no really)... Start with them, I know Gareth at biggamebikes.com offers battery service.  he's in the UK, so IDK about shipping! ...  "neutral neural thoughts" your way!
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

Hooya2ya2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 04:32:47 PM »
I was removing the Rover 6 battery for charging and touched the key against the power source input instead of the battery release lock. A spark went off. I then proceeded to charge the battery as usual. BUT--the green light on the charger went on instead of the red light which means the battery is fully charged, which isn't the case. The levels of charge on the PAS says it's down 3 bars of power and the light on the battery shows it's down one bar of charge. It appears the battery is not charging because it's been on over an hour and since it wasn't drawn down very much the charge shouldn't take long. At least it hasn't previously when I've ridden the same miles as today.

My other bike is a City 5 Plus with the identical battery and until today--the batteries behaved exactly the same ways when charging.

I fear my error damaged the battery. Is there someplace I can take it to have it examined and repaired if needed? I've only had the bike a few weeks.
I had a similar problem except I got a spark when I actually was inserting the key to the key port, I have contacted support and I had to send in photos and videos I guess trying to prove I didn't touch the key to the power port, the only thing that worries me is if they replace my battery or if have have to get a new one will this issue happen again, hopefully I will hear something from them tomorrow

SoCalRADRider

• 1,000mi / year and love my RAD ebike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 11:24:09 AM »

I had a similar problem except I got a spark when I actually was inserting the key to the key port, I have contacted support and I had to send in photos and videos I guess trying to prove I didn't touch the key to the power port, the only thing that worries me is if they replace my battery or if have have to get a new one will this issue happen again, hopefully I will hear something from them tomorrow

I did the same thing. Good news!  This is probably a super easy fix, and won't cost more than $5. Take off the battery and replace the 5amp charging fuse. I did it, and the battery started charging properly. There's a great little YouTube video on it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGqdT8Fewc&t=57s

savoimar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »
it happen to me too, you need new battery.   Bad  design

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »