Author Topic: handlebar question  (Read 2547 times)

VegasSteve

• View Profile
handlebar question
« on: August 07, 2022, 12:07:01 PM »
I'm 6'1" and I find that I am 'reaching' more for the handlebars than I like, prefering a more upright position.  I see some suggest a stem riser, but with the wiring, I can't see how you could gain much that way.  If I could tilt the bar a bit, that might help some, but then the palm rests on the grips would be pointed down.  I can see how to adjust all the other handlebar components attached if I do that EXCEPT for the grips, which seem pretty solidly attached.

Is there a trick to rotating the grips or do you have to rip them off and get new ones? 

pchew

• View Profile
Re: handlebar question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:53:23 PM »
I'm 6'1" and I find that I am 'reaching' more for the handlebars than I like, prefering a more upright position.  I see some suggest a stem riser, but with the wiring, I can't see how you could gain much that way.  If I could tilt the bar a bit, that might help some, but then the palm rests on the grips would be pointed down.  I can see how to adjust all the other handlebar components attached if I do that EXCEPT for the grips, which seem pretty solidly attached.

Is there a trick to rotating the grips or do you have to rip them off and get new ones?
I don?t know the answer to your other question butI was able to raise my handle bars with a stem riser without having to mess with the cables.  There was enough give to raise it 2.5 inches (I was able to use all of the inserts except for the smallest one).  Made a big difference.

I can send a pic if you like.

Wake Bike Stem Riser Bike Fork Stem Extender Bicycle Handlebar Raiser Head Up Adapter Suitable for Mountain Bike, Road Bike, MTB, BMX, Fixie (Aluminium Alloy, Adjustable) https://amzn.to/3K7G61K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:18:46 PM by Ryan »

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 01:23:08 PM »
You can rotate the grips but they turn pretty hard. Just force them they will turn. Mine did! I used a Delta Stem Riser to raise my stem 4" on my Rad Rover ST 1. Had just enough cable length, no problems, worked great.   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:39:13 PM by rjp »

johnyj7657

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »
I ordered a jones h-bar 2.5" handlebar for mine.
Supposed to have a 2 inch rise and better shape for upright riding position

I'm 6 ft 3 and the stock bars are just a bit low.

If the h-bar is still to low I'll use a stem extender but gotta wait for the handlebars

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 10:10:38 PM »
Is there a "trick"?

Yes. The trick is an air compressor. Jam the nozzle under just the edge of the grip an blast away. This is what bike shops use for install and removal.

VegasSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 01:51:24 PM »
Is there a "trick"?

Yes. The trick is an air compressor. Jam the nozzle under just the edge of the grip an blast away. This is what bike shops use for install and removal.

Thanks for all the replies.  I had my bike checked out at the local shop and had the guy order me a stem riser, so that should do it.

Zeeman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
Thanks every one for all the great info, Im going to try a few suggestion you have all provided and see which fits me best.  I just joined, got a rover 6.

johnyj7657

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 11:22:36 PM »
I put the jones handle bars on but had to add a 110 mm adjustable stem to raise it.

I like them.  But I think I might need them another inch higher.  But I'll have to swap the front brake line out for a longer one.

Just gotta look up what connector the brake lines are.

g33kyfr34ky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 10:45:05 PM »
My solution, ape hangers. Super comfy. You will need to lengthen brake hoses, derailleur cable/housing and electric cable extensions.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:47:23 PM by g33kyfr34ky »

Mooree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 06:48:53 PM »
After reading some of the reviews of buyers on Amazon, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was impressed with the REDSHIFT road bike stem road bike stem. At the end of the ride, gone was the numbness in my hands, and there was much less fatigue in my arms and shoulders. My ride is broken up into sections of trail, and one telling aspect of the ride to me was that after finishing a section. https://biketoworkday.us/best-road-bike-stems/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:55:07 PM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 06:48:53 PM »