News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Seat post recommendations for heavy riders

Started by yellowdirt, June 02, 2020, 01:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

yellowdirt

Morning all,

I hope you're all well and keeping safe.

After doing 20 miles on my RadRunner on the potholes and cobbles of London streets - am really keen to get a new saddle for my bike as I really felt the seat towards the end of the ride. However i'm finding that the challenge is the seatpost...

Not that knowledgeable, presumably something with some flex or suspension would help and compensate for the fact that the RadRunner doesn't have suspension? Or should i just go for a standard rigid seatpost and make sure that the saddle is comfortable? Or ideally a combination of both?

The seatposts which flex or have their own suspension appeals - but the problem i have is that i'm a "heavy" rider and most of those types of seatposts have a max rider weight limit.

Any advice over what combination to go for, and recommended seatposts, would be really much appreciated!

Just to flag - being based in the UK, i may not be able to purchase some of your recommendations this side of the pond.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Ryan

Quote from: yellowdirt on June 02, 2020, 01:03:44 AM
Morning all,

I hope you're all well and keeping safe.

After doing 20 miles on my RadRunner on the potholes and cobbles of London streets - am really keen to get a new saddle for my bike as I really felt the seat towards the end of the ride. However i'm finding that the challenge is the seatpost...

Not that knowledgeable, presumably something with some flex or suspension would help and compensate for the fact that the RadRunner doesn't have suspension? Or should i just go for a standard rigid seatpost and make sure that the saddle is comfortable? Or ideally a combination of both?

The seatposts which flex or have their own suspension appeals - but the problem i have is that i'm a "heavy" rider and most of those types of seatposts have a max rider weight limit.

Any advice over what combination to go for, and recommended seatposts, would be really much appreciated!

Just to flag - being based in the UK, i may not be able to purchase some of your recommendations this side of the pond.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hey Chris, do you have access to Cloud 9 seats in the UK? That will definitely be a first step up. From there I'd definitely consider a suspension seatpost since you'll have to replace the seatpost on the Runner as well (If I'm not mistaken it's custom for the stock seat). Take a look at the Cane Creek Thudbuster (hopefully they are available in the UK). This one has a max weight limit of 330 lbs: https://amzn.to/3eJsFnU

RadJohn

The NEW style Cane Creek Thudbuster ST (Short Travel) is listed as supporting rider weights up to 330 lbs / 150 kg but in my opinion that would be pushing it for the smaller 27.2 mm size used on all the Rad bikes. Cane Creek has UK dealers but it may take a while for the NEW model ST to show up there. The older ST model and all the LTs (Long Travel) are only recommended for 250 lbs / 114 kg max rider weight.  The NEW ST also has longer travel than the old one, 2in / 50mm, which should help.