News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Front rack heads up

Started by VegasSteve, August 03, 2022, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

VegasSteve

The front rack itself seems solid and well built.  No instructions included.  Looked simple to do though, so I started.  Then I thought I would look at a Youtube video just to be sure.  On the video, they show 'splitting' the wires before mounting the rack.  So I take it off and I'll be darned if I can find a way to split those wires.  The wires channel together into the downtube on one side, so splitting them would seem to involve some disassembly, which I'm not inclined to do.  Maybe the video was prior to the RR6+ and wiring changed?  Anyway, I tied them together as best I could and tried to make sure there was no strain on the wires.  Kind of a PITA and Rad should really include instructions, IMHO.  I also got the back rack (also no instructions), but since there doesn't appear to be any kind of wire involvement, I'm hoping it goes better.  Just FYI.

Si1Dia

Instructions are on the product page for the Front Rack. Most companies are going to online instructions. The 6+ does not need the brake line moved. this is only for cable brakes and only if the cables bind too much after installation.

VegasSteve

Quote from: Si1Dia on August 03, 2022, 06:56:33 PM
Instructions are on the product page for the Front Rack. Most companies are going to online instructions. The 6+ does not need the brake line moved. this is only for cable brakes and only if the cables bind too much after installation.

Thanks, but they could have at least put a slip in the box directing one to the web page for assembly.  I've never run into absolutely no paper in a box like this, but hey, I'm old.  :(   Took a bit, but I figured it out and got it together ok.  I will say, the overall build quality seems very good, especially considering the price.

Glad you posted this, maybe it will save someone else a little frustration.

AtLarge

My disappointment in the front rack was twofold. The threaded mounting holes are somewhat of an odd dimension. Also the pipe diameter they used is larger than the rear frame members (on my city anyway). Wanted to use an MIK adapter on both the front and the back. The odd dimensions prevented direct bolt on and the MIK clamp feature can?t be used on the larger pipe diameter.  :'(
City 3

johnyj7657

I have the front and rear racks on my radrover 6.

I wanted to use my topeak pannier bags and bought the omni plate to attach to the racks so the backs slide and lock on easily but of course it would attach due to the racks layout.

I looked around the garage and ended up taking some wood that was 1/4" thick and 1 1/2 to 2" wide and painting it black and attached it to the racks existing mounting holes with m5 16mm black screws and the topeak plate attaches to the wood.

It was quick and simple, looks good and works.

PowayVoyager

VegasSteve, I'm running into the same issue installing the front rack on my RR6.  Did you keep the wires on one side or did you end up splitting them on each side of the rack where it mounts to the front of the bike. Maybe if you get a chance, you can post a pic or two of what it looks like. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

UnsaltedStateProud

Quote from: PowayVoyager on October 29, 2022, 09:35:41 PM
Did you keep the wires on one side or did you end up splitting them on each side of the rack where it mounts to the front of the bike.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I just installed the front rack a few weeks ago and kept my wires together on the same side. I did end up snipping the tie and readjusting to make sure the tension seemed correct on the cables when turning full range, and it's been fine.