Author Topic: What RAD Needs for Battery Replacement  (Read 5029 times)

lowspark1974

• View Profile
What RAD Needs for Battery Replacement
« on: August 02, 2022, 09:26:42 AM »
just got an email back from support asking for the following to allow them to send out a new battery:

Hi Zac!

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact Rad Power Bikes, and for being a part of our Rad Power Bikes community! I am sorry that your semi-integrated Battery has stopped charging. Can you please reply back to this email with a bit of information, a few pictures and two short videos for me.

Information:
-How often do you clean your bike? This includes the frame, mechanical components, electronic components, and connection points
-How/Where is the bike stored?
-How many miles do you have on the bike?

Photos:
? 1 of the charge port.
- To replace your battery we'll need an in-focus, well-lit, close-up shot of the charge port that shows there is no evidence of it being short circuited. A short circuited charging port will not happen from a hardware failure and is not covered under warranty. Below is an example photo of an in-focus charge port that has not been short-circuited.

? 1 of the battery electrical connectors on the battery.
? 1 of the battery electrical connectors on the bike.
? 1 of the battery serial number on the bottom of the battery.
* Also type out the serial number, please.

Video 1:
-With the battery on the bike, press and release the charge indicator button on the battery. Show the level of charge. If the battery indicates No Charge, press and hold the battery charge indicator on the battery itself for 5 to 10 seconds.  Turn the bike on and show the charge level on the display. If the bike does not turn on, show that, and the level of charge on the battery.

Video 2:
- On this one I need to see the charger lights and the battery lights in the same picture. In this video, please go through the following process:

Plug your charger into the Battery

Plug the Charger into the wall

Press and release the battery power level button to show the current state of charge on the battery and the lights on the charger.

- Please show the battery plugged into the charger, showing the charger lights, while you press and release the charge indicator button on the battery to show the actual charge level.

Tree

• View Profile
Re: What RAD Needs for Battery Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 09:36:45 AM »
just got an email back from support asking for the following to allow them to send out a new battery:

Photos:
? 1 of the charge port.
- To replace your battery we'll need an in-focus, well-lit, close-up shot of the charge port that shows there is no evidence of it being short circuited. A short circuited charging port will not happen from a hardware failure and is not covered under warranty. Below is an example photo of an in-focus charge port that has not been short-circuited.

? 1 of the battery electrical connectors on the battery.
? 1 of the battery electrical connectors on the bike.
? 1 of the battery serial number on the bottom of the battery.
* Also type out the serial number, please.

Video 1:
-With the battery on the bike, press and release the charge indicator button on the battery. Show the level of charge. If the battery indicates No Charge, press and hold the battery charge indicator on the battery itself for 5 to 10 seconds.  Turn the bike on and show the charge level on the display. If the bike does not turn on, show that, and the level of charge on the battery.

Video 2:
- On this one I need to see the charger lights and the battery lights in the same picture. In this video, please go through the following process:

Plug your charger into the Battery

Plug the Charger into the wall

Press and release the battery power level button to show the current state of charge on the battery and the lights on the charger.

- Please show the battery plugged into the charger, showing the charger lights, while you press and release the charge indicator button on the battery to show the actual charge level.

The lesson here is that everyone should just go ahead and do this now, and save this stuff, in case you have a future problem.

I haven't read the warranty, but are the information questions asked actually relevant to the warranty?

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »
Thank you.

This is good to know ahead of time in case something happens.

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:41:25 AM »

I haven't read the warranty, but are the information questions asked actually relevant to the warranty?

I think these are the pertinent parts of the warranty applicable to this. Or at least that is how I would read it.

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 09:43:57 AM »
The problem is with your new RR6+, right?  If so, ZERO miles out to be a great starting point for the claim.

I just had my battery replaced last week - got the bike mid-May.  They did not ask me anything about cleaning, miles, usage or storage. 

VegasSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 03:47:21 PM »
Lots of hoops to jump thru, but it's an expensive part, so I guess I can understand.

To the OP:  Did your battery come 'dead' or did something happen?  Just wondering if these things die on their own or it's not following the BOOB protocol for charging or something else.  Really seems like a poor design on Rad's part with all the issues reported.

izxion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 01:02:20 PM »
Just had to complete this form yesterday for my brand new bike. Battery was DOA. Support person said a 5 day backlog just for "Manager Approval" for a new battery to be sent. 

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 02:22:10 PM »
Even after sending this info to RAD confirming a bad battery, don't expect any quick action on their part.  A lot of foot dragging from them and wasted time is what you can expect, from our experience. 

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 07:46:09 AM »
Even after sending this info to RAD confirming a bad battery, don't expect any quick action on their part.  A lot of foot dragging from them and wasted time is what you can expect, from our experience.
I received my battery a week after providing all the warranty information.  Not fun, but not bad turnaround.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »
I received my battery a week after providing all the warranty information.  Not fun, but not bad turnaround.

Well, then you are fortunate/lucky.  It's been close to a month after my friend sent all the requested info, battery has still not shipped.  Starting to think RAD was a mistake the way they handle warranty issues.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 04:03:48 PM »

Well, then you are fortunate/lucky.  It's been close to a month after my friend sent all the requested info, battery has still not shipped.  Starting to think RAD was a mistake the way they handle warranty issues.

...and still waiting for the replacement battery.

joeliniowa

• On a RAD since 2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 10:56:56 PM »
grrr, is my only nice reply...

This is a community discussion that would take a while.  There are solutions & options.  I'm not so enamored by their 1 yr warranty on big ticket replacement items.  They seem to act like they are either Mercedes Online, or Wal -Mart.  It is a growth pain I believe.  No crap like this was in their pipeline 2 years ago when I got my RW4. 
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 04:45:33 PM »

After waiting about a month, we received the replacement battery today.  Had no charge as received (not sure if that would be expected).  Is not accepting a charge after four hours, like the failed unit.  Come on RAD, WTF is going on?

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
Just had to complete this form yesterday for my brand new bike. Battery was DOA. Support person said a 5 day backlog just for "Manager Approval" for a new battery to be sent.

I'm curious if your battery issue was resolved, and how....

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 07:18:40 AM »

After waiting about a month, we received the replacement battery today.  Had no charge as received (not sure if that would be expected).  Is not accepting a charge after four hours, like the failed unit.  Come on RAD, WTF is going on?

OK, after finally getting through to RAD service on the phone, they indicate the new/replacement battery was probably sent to us in "ship mode".  Pressing the power button for 10 seconds takes it out of "ship mode" and shows us it has a full charge.  The Service person recommended that we go through the balancing procedure also at this point.

Maybe it's just me being an idiot, but why wouldn't RAD ship the battery with a written notice/instructions that the battery was in "ship mode" and needed to be taken out of "ship mode" before it could be used? ???

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 07:18:40 AM »