News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Saris MODULAR HITCH SYSTEM (MHS) for Rad Rover 6 Plus?

Started by Tree, August 02, 2022, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

Has anyone used the Saris MHS system for the Rad Rover 6 Plus, in particular with a 1 1/4 hitch.

The weight limit on it is 60 lbs. With the battery removed, the bike weighs 65 pounds - just above the limit. I have zero plans to put more than one bike on the rack, and it's one of the few racks out there that works with a 1 1/4 hitch (please don't suggest adding a 2 inch. I've had that conversation already lol).

Really just looking for thoughts and or actual experiences.

thanks!

J3rry

I wouldn't go over the max weight for a bike rack. If it only holds 60lbs total it's probably pretty flimsy. I have a trunk rack that I put my Radmission on that has two slots, 35lbs each but 70lbs total, and it seems OK. But that bike is only 45lbs so it's under the total rated weight.

I would look for another rack if you can, even if it has two slots and you only use one. If you're set on risking it with this rack, something you can do that can help is connect a ratchet strap or two from the rack to the roof racks of the car. That will take a little bit of pressure off the rack.

Tree

Quote from: J3rry on August 03, 2022, 05:59:51 PM
I wouldn't go over the max weight for a bike rack. If it only holds 60lbs total it's probably pretty flimsy. I have a trunk rack that I put my Radmission on that has two slots, 35lbs each but 70lbs total, and it seems OK. But that bike is only 45lbs so it's under the total rated weight.

I would look for another rack if you can, even if it has two slots and you only use one. If you're set on risking it with this rack, something you can do that can help is connect a ratchet strap or two from the rack to the roof racks of the car. That will take a little bit of pressure off the rack.

to clarify, it's 60 pounds per bike, and with an add on, can hold two 60 pound bikes.

crorris

You should confirm that weight rating for two bike. When I looked at the manuals for that, it looked like the first bike was 60lbs, but the second one was only 35lbs. I still think this looks like a good option for folks who have to have a rack for a 1.25" hitch. It says a maximum load of 95lbs.

Tree

Quote from: crorris on August 04, 2022, 09:03:00 AM
You should confirm that weight rating for two bike. When I looked at the manuals for that, it looked like the first bike was 60lbs, but the second one was only 35lbs. I still think this looks like a good option for folks who have to have a rack for a 1.25" hitch. It says a maximum load of 95lbs.

I'll double check that, but I definitely won't be carrying more than one bike.

crorris

I would probably use that one myself if I needed a 1-1/4" hitch and only one bike.