News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Problem with my RR2

Started by JedidiahStolzfus, July 29, 2022, 07:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JedidiahStolzfus

I ride my bike to work, the route that I normally take is 10.5 miles, today I made it there in 6.5 miles.  I rode the same route both days.  I noticed that my PAS wasn't engaging the way it did when the bike first got here.  It's a bit of a delay when it engages.  Also, while riding out today, I was stuck to 20mph even though I have the speed cranked up the whole way.  I did double check to make sure it's still set up, and it is.

I'm thinking it's a bad cadence sensor.  I read through the trouble shooting steps from Rad's site, but since I don't have a magnetic sensor I don't know where else to look.  I did open a ticket with RP, but thought I'd like to get opinions from here first.  If I have to replace the cadence sensor, I'll have to buy a crank tool.  Anyone got recommendations on what to get for that?

tacomanatx

Pulling a crank and the BB isnt hard just takes the right tools- The Park CCP-22 is the right one and you need the BBT-22 to pull the bottom bracket.  You will need grease to put back on the parts when re-assembling.  These are hardly ever used tools so you might just want the bike shop to handle it since you may never use them again.

JedidiahStolzfus

I don't mind buying oddball tools, have a garage full of them.  What kind of grease should I use to repack it?

JedidiahStolzfus

Good, ordered the Park when I ordered the tools.
No response from RP on my open ticket yet.

SQFRad

Maybe it's worth doing a controller upgrade then getting a different type of sensor, saw Grin Tech do a video on it the other day.

It certainly piqued my curiosity, maybe if I feel like my 35A controller isn't enough someday

https://youtu.be/7Am96zl1S4E

JimInPT

Quote from: SQFRad on July 31, 2022, 11:41:25 AMMaybe it's worth doing a controller upgrade then getting a different type of sensor, saw Grin Tech do a video on it the other day.

That was a short, but fascinating vid - thanks!  Pretty clearly introduces the improvement a torque sensor makes.  If it fits a Runner it would fit my Mini, but I'd hate to give up my current 35A with improved display setup.  And the 1,600 available watts too, of course.   8)
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: SQFRad on July 31, 2022, 11:41:25 AM
Maybe it's worth doing a controller upgrade then getting a different type of sensor, saw Grin Tech do a video on it the other day.

It certainly piqued my curiosity, maybe if I feel like my 35A controller isn't enough someday

https://youtu.be/7Am96zl1S4E

I may actually consider going through all that, including the controller change out when/if support from RP completely fails me, or they stop supplying spare parts.  As it came out of the box, I'm fairly happy with it.  Customer service from RP leaves much to be desired though. 

JedidiahStolzfus

Currently in on hold hell right now with tech support about this. 

Anyone know of any compatible PAS sensors that work with this bike so I don't have to wait 2 weeks for them to ship one out? 

FedEx ground sucks.

JedidiahStolzfus

Gave up being on hold after every 15 seconds it telling me to use their call back service. 

They called a few minutes ago, I explained the problem and they're sending a new PAS out.  Hopefully they send it by Pony Express so it gets here faster than FedEx Ground.

JedidiahStolzfus

Anyone know if this is compatible?

https://amzn.to/3drHdwN 

It would be nice to have a source for such a cheap part that ships faster than RP.

JedidiahStolzfus

Just got done installing the PAS unit linked above. It does indeed work with the RR2 and probably other that have the same waterproof plug.  Installation was easy, took about 15 minutes from start to test ride.  Has a far longer cable than the other one so that took bit to tie up safely. 

Still waiting for my warranty replacement unit.

JedidiahStolzfus

Got my warranty replacement unit earlier this week.  Glad I wasn't relying upon it, it's the wrong part.