News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

My Comuter/Grocery Getter

Started by JedidiahStolzfus, July 25, 2022, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JedidiahStolzfus

It appears that whatever method the bikes are using to calculate speed and distance are wrong.  Riding with my GPS today, speed is fast by at least 2mph, which I believe leads to calculated distance being incorrect as well. 

Taking the same route I always do, with the default RR controller as well as with the 35A controller, distance for that route is 10.5miles.  Today, GPS reported it as 8.8M.  I have never measured it with a car though. 

Top speed was showing about 26.2mph, but the GPS is registering it as 23.4.

You're not riding as far or as fast as you think you are.

JTK77

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on August 12, 2022, 05:03:52 PM
It appears that whatever method the bikes are using to calculate speed and distance are wrong.  Riding with my GPS today, speed is fast by at least 2mph, which I believe leads to calculated distance being incorrect as well. 

Taking the same route I always do, with the default RR controller as well as with the 35A controller, distance for that route is 10.5miles.  Today, GPS reported it as 8.8M.  I have never measured it with a car though. 

Top speed was showing about 26.2mph, but the GPS is registering it as 23.4.

You're not riding as far or as fast as you think you are.

What wheel size setting you are using? Change it to closest possible. RadRover closest depending on tire used is 28-29"
Runner would be ~23" but that setting not available in LCD8h. 24" is bit toi high.

joeliniowa

I just got my RadRunner Plus.  I thought the "Plus" things made a good combination.  Now their 3 special bundles...NFW.  They look like a racket!  I'm spending about the same $2K getting mostly what I want.  I found out the "large platform" is too big for my elevator. BUMMER.  I see what dimensions the "Large Basket" has.  That may work...or it will go back. 

I'm still getting my battery tuned, but still that range had got to improve. 
I'm thinking about a "solar road trailer"... using a Burley Flatbed Cargo Trailer.  It's $299 local shop, so I'll look around.   There's a YouTube guy that built an Arduino control for his ridged pannel with a light sensor, to follow the sun as it goes.  That's cool.  I'd add a DATEX-3, and add a big hand built cube, or some off the shelf retail units.  That's a few years away. 

Good luck to you.  Did you post your stl to Thingiverse? what's the item # on the Amazonian thing. :)   

Thank you!

JLH
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: joeliniowa on August 22, 2022, 08:46:46 PM
I just got my RadRunner Plus.  I thought the "Plus" things made a good combination.  Now their 3 special bundles...NFW.  They look like a racket!  I'm spending about the same $2K getting mostly what I want.  I found out the "large platform" is too big for my elevator. BUMMER.  I see what dimensions the "Large Basket" has.  That may work...or it will go back. 

I'm still getting my battery tuned, but still that range had got to improve. 
I'm thinking about a "solar road trailer"... using a Burley Flatbed Cargo Trailer.  It's $299 local shop, so I'll look around.   There's a YouTube guy that built an Arduino control for his ridged pannel with a light sensor, to follow the sun as it goes.  That's cool.  I'd add a DATEX-3, and add a big hand built cube, or some off the shelf retail units.  That's a few years away. 

Good luck to you.  Did you post your stl to Thingiverse? what's the item # on the Amazonian thing. :)   

Thank you!

JLH

Not on Thingiverse yet. I had taken a break from putting stuff up, and when I came back they screwed up their system again and I haven't gotten into my account since.  I'm still waiting on my machinist to make them out of aluminum.  He's a retired guy that's still working so I don't want to rush him.

joeliniowa

Does the basket stick past the fender?   I can't tell from the photo???

That's my maximum length restriction for my building elevator.  The large platform was TOO LARGE in every direction.  I may just order it & build my own adapter plate.  Thanks for the Idea! 
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

JedidiahStolzfus

I took my Acadia into the shop today for an overheating problem. I think I need a bike rack.

The only thing I had to do to make it fit was turn one of the mirrors around.

JedidiahStolzfus

Added turn signals.
The controls for the signals were too large, and I had to move the bike controls to the right beside my horn button.
I got them here: https://amzn.to/3C6vNsy
I like them, they have two other modes, one where a red light flashes from all of them for visibility, and a "4-way" mode like a car.  They beep a different tone between right and left, but it's hard to hear over the road noise.  I can see them flashing from the front though, plus the buttons on the control flash when activated.

JedidiahStolzfus

Some scum sucking lowlife rat bastard kicked in one of the sides of my trailer while I was at the grocery store this morning.  Broke 6 of the 3D printed brackets I made.  The acrylic is still intact though.  I have more pieces printing right now

JedidiahStolzfus

In case anyone was wondering, the large basket RP sells can fit 6 gallons of milk.

Tree

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on September 13, 2022, 12:27:34 PM
Some scum sucking lowlife rat bastard kicked in one of the sides of my trailer while I was at the grocery store this morning.  Broke 6 of the 3D printed brackets I made.  The acrylic is still intact though.  I have more pieces printing right now

why the hell would anyone even do that?!?! like, what's the point?

(also, any chance the store has cameras?)

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: Tree on September 20, 2022, 10:30:27 AM
Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on September 13, 2022, 12:27:34 PM

why the hell would anyone even do that?!?! like, what's the point?

(also, any chance the store has cameras?)

Because there's a lot of assholes in the world.  No cameras outside.  A couple months ago I talked to the manager (I know almost all the employees there) and ask him to put cameras up to watch the bike rack.  He just laughed. 

As of yesterday, my bike has a camera.  Picked up a GoPro Hero 4 Session for $75. 

JedidiahStolzfus

Monday I bought a GoPro Hero 4 Session from a fellow Ebiker on Craigslist.  It works, came with an aluminum enclosure, which is blue, but I'm going to order a black one.  The blue just doesn't go with the bike at all, and it stands out.  The mount can pivot so it can watch the bike while parked.