News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Remove Radrunner Max Speed Limiter

Started by wapple, July 21, 2021, 01:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

Am I misremembering about a speed-limiting circuit in the Rad-spec motor?  I seem to recall discussion about how even a higher-voltage battery won't make them spin faster, like the Bafang-branded motors do.  I'm happy with 25mph on my MiniST, so have never pursued this aspect very far.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JTK77

Quote from: JimInPT on August 31, 2022, 11:24:25 AM
Am I misremembering about a speed-limiting circuit in the Rad-spec motor?  I seem to recall discussion about how even a higher-voltage battery won't make them spin faster, like the Bafang-branded motors do.  I'm happy with 25mph on my MiniST, so have never pursued this aspect very far.

I have some experience with these motors. There is no speed limiting circuit but loaded speed (aka real topspeed on road) is combination of motor phase input voltage, motor KV and motor phase input current.
Increased voltage alone does not nesessarily increase topspeed alot of current is limiting.
Motor no load speed increased very close to linear with increasing voltage.
There is reason why topspeed and no load speed varies with individual "Rad motors". Rad has used motors with some different KVs. This is indicated by motor turn count number. As a result using controller and display without speed limit hard code max (40km/h) no load speed can be seen to vary.

K2WW

JTK77

Quote from: K2WW on September 14, 2022, 04:06:11 AM
JTK77-What's this KV you speak of?

Motor parameter. Simplified explanation is how many revolutions per volt the motor is turning at certain input voltage when not loaded.
Example 48 volt battery will turn 10rpm/V (KV) motor ~480rpm (per min).

Jsoares88

Meanwhile, while i was reading this topic searching for a solution for the EU 25KM/H speed limit, i just found it very very simply on my Radrunner Plus 2022.

If someone still needing help just let me know 😊