Author Topic: Turn signal lights  (Read 8495 times)

pplupo

• View Profile
Turn signal lights
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
I was looking at these Magnic lights, they have a model with turning signal lights and I was wondering if they would be compatible with Radmini.
Also, I'd like to know your thoughts on turn signal lights and possible suggestions.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Turn signal lights
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:37:10 AM »
At a glance looks like those are made for rim brakes though I didn't spend a lot of time digging in. I like the Lumos helmets as an alternative though no experience myself: https://amzn.to/3dnAsHP

pplupo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
I believe they have a model for disk brakes as well. I just don't know if they would fit. There are also several adapters for different brake types. I just have no clue as to what I should pick if I decide to go with those.

I saw the Lumos helmet but I'm not sure if they are as safe. I believe they are not even MIPS. Besides, those don't require batteries, which is pretty cool.

Also, I believe I might need 2 helmets. How do you cope with 95F in summer and -13F in winter with one helmet only? Won't you want a closed one for winter and a ventilated one during summer?

So I'm still looking for bike-attached alternatives. This one could be an option, but I'd like to here from the community what works well:
https://amzn.to/31NpeLN
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:24:57 PM by Ryan »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
The Lumos helmets are available with MIPS: https://amzn.to/2TN2moP

I've used the same helmet for years in the hot humid summers and freezing winters. You just need to wear a hat underneath. On very extreme days I'll just wear my snowboard helmet.

Not sure if anyone here has opted for turn signals so perhaps you will have to share what you decide.  ;D Personally I just like having lights on all of the time so people can see me. I guess in more dense areas they make more sense. I really like the Abus helmet that I recently reviewed that has a built in LED on the back - a little less crazy than the Lumos but still works. While it is rated for ebikes it is not MIPs.

pplupo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
Well, having turn lights doesn't mean giving up on a permanent light, especially one that indicates when you are breaking. It's extra. :-)

If I do go with them, I'll write a review about it in the forums.

Thanks for the Lumos link, I'll check it out.

pplupo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
OMG it's extremely expensive. I can get a Giro MIPS for like 1/3 of the price and some lights for even less than that.

yellowdirt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 01:16:32 AM »
I've got a pair of these: https://www.cycl.co.uk/collections/winglights/

You stick them in the end of the handlebars (taking the rubber stopper out), and by twisting them with the nut on the end them compress and expand to fit your handlebar.

Had to use a different nut to the one provided, as weirdly the RadRunner handlebar gets narrower inside. They're in there pretty securely now.

Only negative is that possibly not as visible in the summer sunshine.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »
I've got a pair of these: https://www.cycl.co.uk/collections/winglights/

You stick them in the end of the handlebars (taking the rubber stopper out), and by twisting them with the nut on the end them compress and expand to fit your handlebar.

Had to use a different nut to the one provided, as weirdly the RadRunner handlebar gets narrower inside. They're in there pretty securely now.

Only negative is that possibly not as visible in the summer sunshine.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I was checking those out as well. Perhaps I need to review these  8)

jshill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »
I have the Lumos helmet that Ryan mentions, and have also had a couple of "bike turn signal" systems. My wife, who usually FOLLOWS me, says NONE of those have much visibility, and that arm signalling is still MUCH BETTER. Remember that to most car drivers, bicycles are INVISIBLE things, so MORE IS BETTER with any kind of signals. I am particularly intrigued by the recent turn signal gloves I've seen advertised, but I won't spend the money until I am CERTAIN they would actually accomplish something.

At night, ANYTHING may work, but in daylight, NOTHING seems to work.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »