News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Upgrading the Stock Tires On RadCity Step-Thru 3?

Started by pdirks67, July 20, 2022, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pdirks67

Hi all, I've had my RadCity 3 for 6 weeks and had my first tire blowout. I was on the road and heard a big bang. Took the bike home, bought a tube, installed it and (you guessed it) another BANG! I looked at the tire before replacing the tube and didn't see anything portruding at the site of the tube puncture, but the second time I realized that the tire had actually separated at the bead.

I've been reading similar stories online as I wait for my warranty replacement tire from Rad. I'm thinking that I should just purchase better tires to avoid future similar problems and reduce the likelihood of a puncture.

Has anyone upgraded their stock 26" Kendas to a Schwalbe or similar? It looks like 2 x 2.30 is a weird size, so I'll have to go a bit bigger or smaller width (e.g. 2 x 2.15 or 2 x 2.40). If you've upgraded, what did you choose and what has your experience been so far with rolling resistance, comfort, and puncture resistance?

I've been looking at Schwalbe Big Bens, Big Apples, Marathons, and the new "Pick-Up" (seems designed for cargo bike and is therefore a bit more heavy duty).

If you change the size subtly, have you noticed any issues with fit on the bike or issues with your speedometer?

Thanks!

Jay West

Schwalbe Big Ben is a great ebike tire. I had these on Rad City 3 Step thru (over 11,000 miles and still going. Schwalbe Marathon plus is great too. (more expensive)

Google on net for best price.
Jay

AtLarge

Whats a 2 x ??? Are they 26 or 27.7 because the look like 26?? to me but, I thought the website said 27.5??.

I have 26 x 2.25 Big Apples on one if my other e-bikes and they are very nice. Comparatively I don?t know other than they ride nice and no flats yet.
City 3

pdirks67

Quote from: AtLarge on July 20, 2022, 12:54:28 PM
Whats a 2 x ??? Are they 26 or 27.7 because the look like 26?? to me but, I thought the website said 27.5??.

I have 26 x 2.25 Big Apples on one if my other e-bikes and they are very nice. Comparatively I don?t know other than they ride nice and no flats yet.

The stock crappy Kenda's are 26 x 2.30. Thanks for the intel!

pdirks67

Quote from: AtLarge on July 20, 2022, 12:54:28 PM

Thanks for the info!