Author Topic: 54/60V Battery or True 750W Motor as the next upgrade?  (Read 1771 times)

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
54/60V Battery or True 750W Motor as the next upgrade?
« on: July 20, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »
I've got a 2019 Rad Runner, with about 5000km on the stock battery and motor.
I've been running a 35A Controller for about 60% of that.
The battery is beginning to show its age, my napkin maths reckons it's down to 60% SOH compared to when new. Range from full is about 40km, wit a 50/50 mix of PAS1 and 100% throttle.
I'm considering replacing the battery with a higher voltage pack, and at the same time I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and upgrade the motor to get the most bang for my euro (assuming the stock motor goes bang if I don't upgrade it! ).

Higher top speed is the goal here, rather than acceleration (which is more than enough with the 35A brain!).

Has anyone run the 35A controller with a higher voltage battery pack?
Are there other higher power or higher KV motors available that are compatible with the 35A controller?

I know about the "true" 750W Bafang upgrade, and I've just seen some videos with a 3000W(!) motor, but that looks like a risky AliX purchase...

JTK77

• View Profile
Re: 54/60V Battery or True 750W Motor as the next upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »
The battery is beginning to show its age, my napkin maths reckons it's down to 60% SOH compared to when new. Range from full is about 40km, wit a 50/50 mix of PAS1 and 100% throttle.
I'm considering replacing the battery with a higher voltage pack, and at the same time I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and upgrade the motor to get the most bang for my euro (assuming the stock motor goes bang if I don't upgrade it! ).

Higher top speed is the goal here, rather than acceleration (which is more than enough with the 35A brain!).

Are there other higher power or higher KV motors available that are compatible with the 35A controller?

I know about the "true" 750W Bafang upgrade, and I've just seen some videos with a 3000W(!) motor, but that looks like a risky AliX purchase...

That 35A controller is 52v battery max. I do sell 40A  controller kits capable of 60v (17s) battery for G062.1000w motor.
I have my Rad modded 60v 64A with modded G062 motor. 42mph.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:36:28 PM by JTK77 »

Altema

• View Profile
Re: 54/60V Battery or True 750W Motor as the next upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 12:51:52 AM »

The G062.1000w motor is a good one, and JTK77's setup is probably the best way to go. I bought two of those motors from AliExpress with no issues. You will need to re-lace your back wheel to install this motor, but totally worth it IMHO. I had the so-called "upgrade" motors from Bolton. All four of them failed. The original Rad motor handled the power better.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum