Author Topic: Tips for Washing your bike?  (Read 4401 times)

Tree

• View Profile
Tips for Washing your bike?
« on: July 15, 2022, 05:57:05 AM »
I've got a Rad Rover 6 Plus, and it's time to give it a good washing.

Any suggestions? Any tips on what parts and areas I absolutely must avoid getting wet, etc etc?

Tree

• View Profile
Re: Tips for Washing your bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »
certainly someone here must wash their bike? lol

i'm looking for even the most basic stuff, as I've seen some sites to leave your battery in, others that say to remove it.

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
certainly someone here must wash their bike? lol

i'm looking for even the most basic stuff, as I've seen some sites to leave your battery in, others that say to remove it.

I need a good washing too, Would appreciate advise also,

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
It's not rocket science folks!  ;D ;D ;D https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037466814-Basic-Bike-Chain-Cleaning-Guide

cool. I know how to use the internet too. thanks for the snarky response.

This is just one of many sources that tell you many different things to do, many of which are the opposite of the others.

It's also a 2+ year old article that predates by a year the bike model I own.

I was looking for personal experiences, because i can tell you there are certainly parts of my bike that "a clean cloth and warm water" will not work on.

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 09:44:43 AM »
For anyone curious, I washed me bike, covering the controllers with plastic baggies, double checking all the connectors, and leaving the battery on, making sure the plug in part was closed.

Hosed it down gently, avoiding the controllers as much as possible, then doused it in Muc-off. Let it sit for a bit, brushed it around, then hosed it down again, before applying some bike protect. (then did the whole degrease and lube the chain thing).

All in all, bike is mostly clean - the tires are still a bit grimey - and all was good when i went on a quick test ride today.

KneesCreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 09:50:36 AM »
I'd just like to add, from personal experience  :-[ even when you've covered everything electrical up, removed the battery etc, DO NOT USE A POWER WASHER - I've done this before on a regular trek marlin mountain bike, and messed up the grease in the pedals and headset, necessitating both being taken apart and regressed completely. I dread to think what will happen if someone accidentally does it on a motor, a very costly mistake all round.

Ride Rad!

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 10:29:24 AM »
I'd just like to add, from personal experience  :-[ even when you've covered everything electrical up, removed the battery etc, DO NOT USE A POWER WASHER - I've done this before on a regular trek marlin mountain bike, and messed up the grease in the pedals and headset, necessitating both being taken apart and regressed completely. I dread to think what will happen if someone accidentally does it on a motor, a very costly mistake all round.

Ride Rad!

was this a traditional power washer, or one designed for Ebikes, such as the one Muc-OFf sells?

I used the Bon Aire Ultimate Water Blaster on an extremely light setting - not much more than simply putting a thumb over the opening on a standard hose, to be honest.

KneesCreak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:06:17 AM »
That is a good point actually, it was a regular power washer for doing the yard. Are the Mobi and Much-Off ones more gentle?

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 05:55:40 AM »
That is a good point actually, it was a regular power washer for doing the yard. Are the Mobi and Much-Off ones more gentle?

I've heard good things about the Muc-off. This is the first I've heard of the Mobi.

At some point, I'll probably get one of them, but the next big investments for the bike will probably be a spare battery (torn here, but really like the Pocket Rocket II (https://bicyclemotorworks.com/product/ebike-battery-pocket-rocket-ii-52v-8ah/#), and then some sort of camera (TOTALLY clueless here).

DD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 05:35:59 PM »
cleaning mitt from the dollar store. Make your own formula - 1 cup Isopropyl - pinch baking soda - a couple squirts of orange degreaser - couple squirts  palmolive - 1 cup water - does it for me - recycle a spray bottle and wipe takes 30 seconds - don't power wash a bike - I use a toilet bowel scrubber from dollar store to clean the treads

Radiculous

• RadRover6Plus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
I wipe mine down with "Equate" flushable wipes. Cheap, quick and easy. Everything  but the brakes and tire tread.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 09:53:51 AM »
My bike don't get that dirty.  Also, if you bike regularly get very dirty, cleaning it to showroom condition is a waste of time.  It will get very dirty again.  If you ride on dirt all the time, I suggest just removing about 98% of the dirt is enough.  I never use the hose on my bicycle, my motorcycle, or the engine of the car.

I don't think the connectors are that waterproof.  You will eventually get into trouble.  Keep water away from the rear hub with the motor.

I get an old towel, wet it, wipe the bike.  If there is a lot of mud, wet the towel a lot. At the very end, wipe the chain too.  Use a second towel, spray some cleaner on it like 409, wipe the bike again.  Lube the chain.

Send the towel to the washing machine.  Save it for the next wash.

I think my bike is good enough for showing, for example, if I want to sell it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 10:00:12 AM by Eric7 »

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 06:34:41 PM »
I would think a hose would be fine if you reduce the pressure. Put an inline cutoff valve just upstream of a pistol-grip nozzle to control the flow.

Covering the electronics still sounds like a good idea though.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Hania

• View Profile
    • Bikes Catalog
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 06:58:32 AM »
I think you should be careful about the electronics part of your bike when washing it.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 06:58:32 AM »