News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Regenerative Braking

Started by RadBod, July 14, 2022, 08:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadBod

Does the Rover/Rhino 6 have regen braking? I find trying to use my bike without any pedal assist very difficult, even in low gears and it feels like trying to pedel in treacle.

Gecko

No regen on them (wish there was as there are a lot of hills where I am and I could save brake pads and increase the range).  My RR6+ feels the same way without any PA, harder to pedal on its own than I anticipated, but it is a very heavy bike with big tires.

Tree

Quote from: Gecko on July 18, 2022, 05:12:03 AM
No regen on them (wish there was as there are a lot of hills where I am and I could save brake pads and increase the range).  My RR6+ feels the same way without any PA, harder to pedal on its own than I anticipated, but it is a very heavy bike with big tires.

I really don't think bikes of this weight are meant to be pedaled without PA.

RadBod

Well imagine using it with only a 250W motor like us stuck with the EU version.

FortunatelyTheMilk

They're geared hub motors, so you can't regen when you freewheel (unlike the direct drive motors in the Radcity)

Radio Runner

ReGen simply isn't worth the weight and extra mechanical parts on a bike. To be an efficient cyclist who thinks about battery life you don't use the brakes as much. You coast to a stop etc. Any long hill ridden up should be ridden down with minimal braking if any at all.

Obviously no braking at a red light at the bottom of a hill isnt what i mean here but if you brake a lot, your killing your battery.

Gecko

Quote from: Radio Runner on July 20, 2022, 10:18:22 PM
ReGen simply isn't worth the weight and extra mechanical parts on a bike. To be an efficient cyclist who thinks about battery life you don't use the brakes as much. You coast to a stop etc. Any long hill ridden up should be ridden down with minimal braking if any at all.

Obviously no braking at a red light at the bottom of a hill isnt what i mean here but if you brake a lot, your killing your battery.

Uh, it's in the city, so chances are at the bottom of the hill, or somewhere in the middle - there will be a stop.  Blowing through lights and signs really isn't an option.