Author Topic: Radrover 6+ battery won?t charge  (Read 8585 times)

Adams

• View Profile
Radrover 6+ battery won?t charge
« on: July 14, 2022, 05:26:06 AM »
I have a battery that looks like it won?t charge anymore. Got the bike just 2 months ago.

Rode last night and pulled the batter to charge it. Got up this morning and the battery level had not changed. Charger light is green.

Threw it on my wife?s charger and it has the same issue - charger shows green but the battery has only 6 bars.

The battery will power up the bike and run.

I?ve always used the correct plug in sequence (battery to charger, then charger to outlet) when charging.

Any ideas on what gives? Sounds like the internal fuse went but I have no idea how that could have happened.

Dukem

• View Profile
Re: Radrover 6+ battery won?t charge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »
My case is similar; pending decision from Rad about replacing my battery.

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »
My case is similar; pending decision from Rad about replacing my battery.

I'm in the same boat waiting on the warranty response.   Weird issue - looks like there are 4 or so different threads on here this week about fried batteries in relatively new bikes.  Not a good sign for Rad.

jlawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »
similar issue....I thought the charging port was the place to unlock it when trying to unlock the battery the first time and apparently shorted the fuse after briefly touching the port with the key. RAD will not replace my battery so I must spend $600 on a new one. I admit this is partly my fault but this is a very common mistake I'm seeing and a horrible design flaw of the battery that you can't easily change the fuse...and the response to RAD by not replacing (or offering to repair it) is very upsetting since I've only used this thing for one charge. This was a birthday present for my son and he's upset, I'm upset....ready to take this to the dump I'm so pissed.

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
similar issue....I thought the charging port was the place to unlock it when trying to unlock the battery the first time and apparently shorted the fuse after briefly touching the port with the key. RAD will not replace my battery so I must spend $600 on a new one. I admit this is partly my fault but this is a very common mistake I'm seeing and a horrible design flaw of the battery that you can't easily change the fuse...and the response to RAD by not replacing (or offering to repair it) is very upsetting since I've only used this thing for one charge. This was a birthday present for my son and he's upset, I'm upset....ready to take this to the dump I'm so pissed.
If you can't fix it yourself, perhaps you know someone who'd be willing to do it for you.

You can ship these batteries via the Post Office. I'll fix for free if you pay shipping.

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 10:15:57 AM »
Got the word that Rad ok'd the warranty claim on my battery that won't charge.  Now I get to tear into it and see which fuse version I have. . .

That's really a shame on yours jlawrence.  I understand your pain.  Don't dump the bike yet!

Gerakat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 06:07:58 PM »
I did the same thing, absentmindedly touched the key to the charging port and POP. Rad customer support (after 2 hours on hold) said ?too bad, so sad, oh well, bye bye.? So now I have a useless bike unless I want to spend $600 on a new battery. Seems like this might be a faulty design issue if you can?t replace the fuse without hacking it, and the placement of the charging port is clearly problematic.

I appreciate all of the time folks have put into describing the fuse hack though. Might be my best chance at getting back out there. Thanks for the tips and photos!

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
Rad has had problems recently, I want another Radbike, BUT, They seem to be in transition, Will hold off buying another Radbike till they figure out their situation, In the meantime, There are some better purchases out there, I will be looking into that venue for an additional fat tire Ebike. So bummed out about not buying another Radbike, BUT, They have problems.
Paul

Treefriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 05:06:10 PM »
I have a battery that looks like it won?t charge anymore. Got the bike just 2 months ago.

Rode last night and pulled the batter to charge it. Got up this morning and the battery level had not changed. Charger light is green.

Threw it on my wife?s charger and it has the same issue - charger shows green but the battery has only 6 bars.

I?ve always used the correct plug in sequence (battery to charger, then charger to outlet) when charging.

Any ideas on what gives? Sounds like the internal fuse went but I have no idea how that could have happened.

I'm having the same problem with my brand new 5. My battery won't charge. I have not got to ride the brand new bike yet
because the battery stays at 4 bars while the charger gives the green light.

I contacted Customer Service. After several days they got back to me and requested several pictures and a video
which I sent to them but I have not heard back from them. Sucks to have a brand new bike that I still haven't
been able to ride and they are dragging their feet.

If they don't replace the battery this bike is useless and I will have to return it along with the $600 worth
of accessories I bought.

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 05:48:02 PM »
Rad has had problems recently, I want another Radbike, BUT, They seem to be in transition, Will hold off buying another Radbike till they figure out their situation, In the meantime, There are some better purchases out there, I will be looking into that venue for an additional fat tire Ebike. So bummed out about not buying another Radbike, BUT, They have problems.
Paul

I am an old fat guy, And the Riva Cheetah is looking better all the time, The only reason I have not pulled the trigger is that I am holding out for front suspension to be featured soon, The thing is a Cruiser beast, And touted to be A Very comfortable ride.
Paul

Treefriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 09:49:31 PM »
UPDATE: Issue still unresolved. I have not been able to ride my brand new Rad 5.

Customer Service is dragging their feet.

Today I got an email from Rad asking if I would recommend Rad to a friend. What am
I supposed to say? If they don't resolve this issue my new bike is useless.

I'm having the same problem with my brand new 5. My battery won't charge. I have not got to ride the brand new bike yet
because the battery stays at 4 bars while the charger gives the green light.

I contacted Customer Service. After several days they got back to me and requested several pictures and a video
which I sent to them but I have not heard back from them. Sucks to have a brand new bike that I still haven't
been able to ride and they are dragging their feet.

If they don't replace the battery this bike is useless and I will have to return it along with the $600 worth
of accessories I bought.

Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 09:20:20 AM »
UPDATE:

Received a new battery from Rad under my warranty claim.  It was a week from when they approved the claim to when I received the battery.  I'm happy with the customer service and result.

Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 11:07:34 AM »
The same issue with "rad runner." Two days ago I sent a request describing the problem through the official website, but still no response. Very upset about this situation.

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »
Stefan, The Rad Runner battery has fuses in the underside of the battery. Check them to make sure ones not blown. Good Luck!

izxion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 10:01:04 AM »
UPDATE:

Received a new battery from Rad under my warranty claim.  It was a week from when they approved the claim to when I received the battery.  I'm happy with the customer service and result.

This is good to hear. Received my bike yesterday and the battery was DOA (no charging lights or anything). Support did say there was a "5 day backlog" on manager approval for battery replacement which did not exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy. I've been reading nothing but nightmares of people waiting months.

Also, out of curiosity does rad require the faulty batteries be sent back for warranty replacements? I'm wondering if I should break out my soldering iron and attempt a repair (according to the serial number I apparently have the soldered fuses) so I can maybe actually enjoy my bike a bit before summer ends.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 10:01:04 AM »