News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Relocating Pedal Assist Sensor?

Started by RadinCal, June 07, 2020, 10:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadinCal

I own a 2016 RadRover and I love riding it, although when I'm out and about, I wish I had a few extra gears on either side of the current 7.

I recently read about the efneo GTRO 3 speed gearbox. The standard model would replace my 42T chainring with 28T/40T/50T.  They also offer 38T/54T/68T and 46T/66T/82T.  (fyi, it costs about as much as a new battery so I'm not about to buy one on a whim)

I contacted efneo tech support as they say they have an ebike version on their website.  They told me I'd have to relocate the Pedal Assist Sensor to the left side of the crank.  They sent me annoted photos on a conversion they did of a Sondor ebike.

Which leads me to  my question.  Has anyone moved their PAS sensor to left side of the crank for whatever reason or has anyone installed one of these 3 speed gearboxes on their Rover?

Cheers

Ryan

I had no idea something like this existed. My guess is no one here has done this before, but as long as you can attach the magnetic disc and then have enough slack to move the sensor to the other side I don't see why it wouldn't work. Are you more concerned with having the range of pedaling regardless of the motor? I'm just thinking if it is related to hill climbing for this price you'd be better off putting in a new controller and as an option upgrading the motor to a true 750 watt.

RadinCal

There are stretches in my local riding area where I am in 7th gear, PAS 0, and I can't spin the pedals fast enough to propel the bike.  Heaven forbid I might coast  ;)

The last quarter mile to my house is a steady up grade and by the time I reach the top I am at PAS 5 in first gear and I need a bit more power.

Normally I am pedaling along using PAS 0 or 1, occasionally going to 2 for steady inclines.  I've been watching the discussions on true 750W motors, controller upgrades, and 52V battery upgrades.  I may look into that for the future.

I'm not sure I am going to jump on this 3 speed crank but it does sound interesting.

BTW, I found a youtube video from Bolton Bikes entitled, "Tool Tuesday - Park Tool Crank Remover" where the presenter puts a new PAS on the left side of a Rover.  Its a 1 piece sensor with the label "KT-V12L" on the case (L for Left).  Bolton is out of stock on this item but I see similar sensors on Amazon.  The one downside is that the connector is not the same as the rover so he had to install a new connector on the sensor.

This 1 piece PAS sensor looks a lot more rugged that the original unit.