News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover Battery Not Charging

Started by ATraynham, July 11, 2022, 05:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

radgranddad

Quote from: radgranddad on August 12, 2022, 02:18:34 PM
Quote from: radgranddad on July 29, 2022, 08:08:00 AM
Quote from: radgranddad on July 19, 2022, 03:51:47 PM
Uh oh, we might have another Rover 6+ that won't take a charge.....
Should be covered by warranty since they were new last fall.

I'll see if anything simple is being overlooked, and if I don't find anything will contact RAD.

Strange it seemed to occur within a week that one of the two identical chargers decided to stop working.

still waiting...  >:(
OK, it's definitely a bad battery (not taking a charge) on my friends Rover 6+.  Luckily we have two identical bikes/chargers so we can isolate/confirm issues quickly.  She sent all of the Rad requested photos and video and am awaiting a decision from them.  It's under warranty, so hopefully they take care of it quickly without a fuss.

Still waiting.... They sure are taking their time......

And still waiting....   Am getting more than a little pissed that RAD thinks so little of their customers to not expedite a solution.  or at least directly communicate what's going on.  A significant portion of the Michigan riding season is lost.

radgranddad

I'll see if anything simple is being overlooked, and if I don't find anything will contact RAD.

Strange it seemed to occur within a week that one of the two identical chargers decided to stop working.

OK, it's definitely a bad battery (not taking a charge) on my friends Rover 6+.  Luckily we have two identical bikes/chargers so we can isolate/confirm issues quickly.  She sent all of the Rad requested photos and video and am awaiting a decision from them.  It's under warranty, so hopefully they take care of it quickly without a fuss.

And still waiting....   Am getting more than a little pissed that RAD thinks so little of their customers to not expedite a solution.  or at least directly communicate what's going on.  A significant portion of the Michigan riding season is lost.

...  and still waiting for the replacement battery.

radgranddad

Still waiting... 

radgranddad

Quote from: radgranddad on August 23, 2022, 01:50:03 PM

Still waiting...

After waiting about a month, we received the replacement battery today.  Had no charge as received (not sure if that would be expected).  Is not accepting a charge after four hours, like the failed unit.  Known good charger now shows green charged always with the replacement battery, like the failed battery... Come on RAD, WTF is going on?

radgranddad

Quote from: radgranddad on August 27, 2022, 07:01:53 AM
Quote from: radgranddad on August 23, 2022, 01:50:03 PM

Still waiting...

After waiting about a month, we received the replacement battery today.  Had no charge as received (not sure if that would be expected).  Is not accepting a charge after four hours, like the failed unit.  Known good charger now shows green charged always with the replacement battery, like the failed battery... Come on RAD, WTF is going on?

OK, after finally getting through to RAD service on the phone, they indicate the new/replacement battery was probably sent to us in "ship mode".  Pressing the power button for 10 seconds takes it out of "ship mode" and shows us it has a full charge.  The Service person recommended that we go through the balancing procedure also at this point.

Maybe it's just me being an idiot, but why wouldn't RAD ship the battery with a written notice/instructions that the battery was in "ship mode" and needed to be taken out of "ship mode" before it could be used? ???

Adams

Quote from: lowspark1974 on August 02, 2022, 07:50:20 AM
UUUUUGGGGGGG I should have found this thread before i bought it, now about an hour into a support call ( still waiting in line) for a brand new rover 6 + that will not take a charge. the light on the charger goes straight to green when it is plugged in.  I have gone over the correct sequence when charging  1. plug into the battery, 2. then the wall, as well as when it was plugged in it is on a smart plug ( tried it with and without the plug) to limit the time it charged.
Check out radgranddad?s post - was your battery in ship mode? Hold the power button for 10 seconds and then try to charge it and see what happens.

rjp

radgranddad, which button do you push? the power button on the handle bars or the gauge button on the battery?

lucdrb

Push the gauge button on the battery during 10 seconds, this put/unput the battery in ship mode

radgranddad

Quote from: lucdrb on August 28, 2022, 05:22:42 AM
Push the gauge button on the battery during 10 seconds, this put/unput the battery in ship mode

as what lucdrb said  :)

jwminor

I have a Rad Rover 6, don't see where the fuse part is on the battery. Does anyone have a picture for this so I know where to look for it?

DarkSim420

If you don't want to wait to ride, buy the fuse & install. Easy to do.

DickB

Quote from: jwminor on September 08, 2022, 04:46:30 AM
I have a Rad Rover 6, don't see where the fuse part is on the battery. Does anyone have a picture for this so I know where to look for it?
https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1655.0/topicseen.html