Author Topic: This MAY be a dumb question (won't be the last, trust me!)  (Read 5344 times)

tmgarvey

• View Profile
I'm awaiting shipment on the RadCity Step-Thru that is due to ship end of June. Meantime, I'm buying some tools and accessories just so I'll have what I need when it gets here. I haven't biked in DECADES, so everything is sort of unfamiliar to me. I ordered a couple of spare inner tubes (Kenda, correct size, same ones sold on site) on eBay (free shipping). When I opened the box, the tubes were inside, as well as some very long, flat rubber strip-loops. They are stamped with the size of the tube and have a single hole that looks like the valve stem would go through. Can anyone tell me what these are for? I could always ask the seller, but thought I'd ask here, first. I can post a picture if it's not clear what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: This MAY be a dumb question (won't be the last, trust me!)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:42:44 PM »
That is called a rim strip or rim tape. Protects the inner tube from the spokes. There are no dumb questions here and welcome to the forum  8)

tmgarvey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
OK, that makes sense, but how do you use it? Does just go around the rim before the tube and tire go on the rim?

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 10:56:48 PM »
My answer to almost any question about a bicycle repairing and maintenance is Youtube ;)
https://youtu.be/4wh4YykZI9k

OK, that makes sense, but how do you use it? Does just go around the rim before the tube and tire go on the rim?

Exactly like that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:16:50 AM by fin_rad »

tmgarvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 05:54:36 AM »
Thanks so much! Stay tuned, I'll be asking more. Appreciate your helpfulness--I love forums like this.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum