Author Topic: How Many Bikes You Own  (Read 4589 times)

jbfoster

• View Profile
How Many Bikes You Own
« on: July 01, 2022, 05:44:12 PM »
I bought a Radrover 5 in 2020. Still going but I did get Error 25 but after unplugging the brake light is fine. I bout a $1,000 Trek bike a couple months a go as a backup but I'm getting the itch for another bike.

How many and what type you own? How many is to many?

Jim

jbfoster

• View Profile
Re: How Many Bikes You Own
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
I bought the same rack that is on my Rover and now I can switch all 3 bags in less than a minute. I've spent about $600 in accessories so far.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:54:33 PM by jbfoster »

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »
I bought a Radrover 5 in 2020. Still going but I did get Error 25 but after unplugging the brake light is fine. I bout a $1,000 Trek bike a couple months a go as a backup but I'm getting the itch for another bike.

Jim
I have 3 so far, Soon to be 4 when the Revi Cheetah gets front suspension, 1 Radrover 5 bought a little over a year ago with 2500 miles on it so far. My Specialized Rock Hopper I bought in the 80's. And a beater cruiser bike that I don't have to worry about being stolen, Here In Santa Cruz Ca. You can't turn your back without your bike being gone.

FlyingScot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »
1. Specialized Sequoia Elite road bike
2. Specialize Globe Hybrid
3. Specialized Rockhopper
4. Giant Alight Hybrid (guest bike)

And now a City 5 Plus with about 10 miles on it.

Looking to upgrade my road bike and considering a gravel bike so 7 sounds like a good number. 😁

AtLarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:25:41 PM »
I have 8. I?m actually down three I sold recently. Things got a little out of control. 😁
City 3

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:15:45 PM »
I have 8. I?m actually down three I sold recently. Things got a little out of control. 😁

Wow 8 bikes... My wife would kill me.

BobbyRad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
RadRover 5 and a RadExpand 5

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »
At the moment, just three. A RadMini GT, a vintage Fuji Sagres 12 speed I used to use for tours and marathons, and an old folding bike called the Roll and Go which I've been mulling over discarding. The RadMini gives me either the most exercise or the least exercise, my choice 😉

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 01:04:13 PM »
At the moment, just three. A RadMini GT, a vintage Fuji Sagres 12 speed I used to use for tours and marathons, and an old folding bike called the Roll and Go which I've been mulling over discarding. The RadMini gives me either the most exercise or the least exercise, my choice 😉

I found photos of Fugi Sagres 12 speeds. In one, the seat looks remarkably far aft for a racer. Lately I've read that a racer's seat is forward so the rider's pelvis will be tipped forward. That way, when he's leaned way over to reduce his profile, he can produce more power because he won't be so sharply bent at the waist.

April 12, 1980, the delegates to the USOC met in Colorado Springs and voted 1604 to 797 to boycott the Olympics. My brother was there training with the bicycle team. I was saved from the lifelong humiliation of being reminded that he'd raced in the Olympics and I hadn't. I visited him five months later. He challenged me to a race to a restaurant 10 miles away. I knew the roads. It was almost a straight shot on 4-lane highways where the limit was 45. The few traffic lights were timed so traffic on main roads wouldn't have to stop much. Traffic was light. It was a breeze on my 57 hp motorcycle. He beat me.

Before motorcycles, I'd ridden A B Jacksons. Under the law, a bicycle wasn't a bicycle unless the dealer assembled it. An A B Jackson was a Raleigh imported as a box of motorcycle parts to avoid the prohibitive tariff. I used to average 15 mph whether or not it was hilly, unless there was a headwind. On level ground I could do about 30 in a burst. I could coast downhill at 45 with rock steady handling.

On the racer it amazed me that we kept up with traffic on 4-lane roads marked at 35 mph. Part of it was lower air drag, and rolling resistance was incredibly low. (Fixing a puncture required sewing and cementing.) The riding position was new to me. It steered and pedaled OK, but I didn't like it. It was hard to monitor the road behind me. With my weight so far forward, I could be unstable in an emergency.

That had happened to him as he rode 300 miles home from visiting somebody. He could do that in a day, but this time an oncoming car crossed the centerline to force him off the road. He went down on the shoulder and got cut up. On my Jackson I would have stayed in control.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:29:16 AM by handlebar »

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 04:01:47 PM »

Jim

I expect to own two next Tuesday. I bought my Radrunner in December, 2020. It was available, and I needed transportation while I figured out what was wrong with my antique car. I've kept up auto insurance and registration, but biking is so much better that I haven't paid much attention to fixing it.

A few days ago I found that the heads on two rear spokes had broken, allowing them to come out of the hub. Other spoke heads had sunk into the holes, meaning they were on the way to popping loose. I've read that it's fairly common for rear spokes on an ebike to break because the big hub means they're shorter than the front, and that means they pull at greater angles from a radius. This would be especially acute for a Radrunner due to its small rim diameter. However, spokes almost always break at the elbow or the threads. When they fail at the head, it usually means defective spokes or a bad hub design. I'll go with hub design. The Bfang hub probably wasn't intended for the small rims that Radpower chose.

Like the tires, the spokes are an oddball size. I couldn't find any except in China, with a lead time of several weeks. I contacted Customer Service three days ago, and they have ignored me. Radpower is not a good company. I'm reduced to walking so maybe my bike will still work when I absolutely need it.

So I ordered a Six Three Zero. More than one expert has said that if you want a good ebike, start with a good bike. Would anyone want a Radrunner without the motor? The company started in 2007 when the CEO, at 15, built an ebike in his garage. When a kid does that, I call the result a toy. Six Three Zero started in 2005 when several enthusiasts began building bicycles in a garage.

The CEO says theirs aren't fast like road bikes or tough like mountain bikes, but his cost less while meeting the needs of a typical rider very well. That sounds like Henry Ford; as he developed his designs, others were marketing impractical toys for the rich. It wasn't until 1913 that he could begin bringing the price down drastically. By then, his car was known to meet consumer needs especially well. For bicycles, Six Three Zero accepts returns for 365 days. I guess that shows confidence in customer satisfaction.

The CEO says he never even rode an ebike until 4 years ago. That's like the Wright Brothers, developing a good glider before building an airplane.

Their advertising is largely for women. That's good. Women don't want bikes that are toys. Considering the amount I have spent trying to make my Radrunner suit my needs, I'd say I've had an expensive adventure with a toy. Two bikes is too many for me. Ebikes have little resale value. I think I'll give my Radrunner to a neighbor. For some time, he and his wife have been getting by on one car. Before then, he used to say he envied me because my Radrunner looked like so much fun. He drove a Stryker in Afghanistan, and I haven't met many combat veterans in the last 50 years. A few weeks ago he got laid off and landed a great job 2 miles away. I guess a Radrunner can go that far.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:59:44 PM by handlebar »

tacomanatx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 08:08:03 AM »
https://www.velominati.com/comment-page-8/

Rule 12

That being said I own a FS MTB, a year old Gravel Bike, my Rad Runner and a Beach Cruiser style.  I keep itching to get another SS Rigid for riding around the streets but thats what the Rad Runner is supposed to be for.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 07:31:41 PM »

I found photos of Fugi Sagres 12 speeds. In one, the seat looks remarkably far aft for a racer. Lately I've read that a racer's seat is forward so the rider's pelvis will be tipped forward. That way, when he's leaned way over to reduce his profile, he can produce more power because he won't be so sharply bent at the waist.

April 12, 1980, the delegates to the USOC met in Colorado Springs and voted 1604 to 797 to boycott the Olympics. My brother was there training with the bicycle team. I was saved from the lifelong humiliation of being reminded that he'd raced in the Olympics and I hadn't. I visited him five months later. He challenged me to a race to a restaurant 10 miles away. I knew the roads. It was almost a straight shot on 4-lane highways where the limit was 45. The few traffic lights were timed so traffic on main roads wouldn't have to stop much. Traffic was light. It was a breeze on my 57 hp motorcycle. He beat me.

Before motorcycles, I'd ridden A B Jacksons. Under the law, a bicycle wasn't a bicycle unless the dealer assembled it. An A B Jackson was a Raleigh imported as a box of motorcycle parts to avoid the prohibitive tariff. I used to average 15 mph whether or not it was hilly, unless there was a headwind. On level ground I could do about 30 in a burst. I could coast downhill at 45 with rock steady handling.

On the racer it amazed me that we kept up with traffic on 4-lane roads marked at 35 mph. Part of it was lower air drag, and rolling resistance was incredibly low. (Fixing a puncture required sewing and cementing.) The riding position was new to me. It steered and pedaled OK, but I didn't like it. It was hard to monitor the road behind me. With my weight so far forward, I could be unstable in an emergency.

That had happened to him as he rode 300 miles home from visiting somebody. He could do that in a day, but this time an oncoming car crossed the centerline to force him off the road. He went down on the shoulder and got cut up. On my Jackson I would have stayed in control.
With the drop handlebars, the Sagres riding position was already in a pretty low position. I never used it for sprinting, but the position was good for marathons and long distance. For causal rides I'd use the brake levers for a hand rest, which they were designed for and made it easy to use the brakes with your middle and ring fingers. It's an easy bike to cruise on at 20 to 25mph, and I personally know it was stable at 50mph going downhill, though hitting a bump or pothole at that speed probably would have been fatal.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »

Jim

I expect to own two next Tuesday. I bought my Radrunner in December, 2020. It was available, and I needed transportation while I figured out what was wrong with my antique car. I've kept up auto insurance and registration, but biking is so much better that I haven't paid much attention to fixing it.

A few days ago I found that the heads on two rear spokes had broken, allowing them to come out of the hub. Other spoke heads had sunk into the holes, meaning they were on the way to popping loose. I've read that it's fairly common for rear spokes on an ebike to break because the big hub means they're shorter than the front, and that means they pull at greater angles from a radius. This would be especially acute for a Radrunner due to its small rim diameter. However, spokes almost always break at the elbow or the threads. When they fail at the head, it usually means defective spokes or a bad hub design. I'll go with hub design. The Bfang hub probably wasn't intended for the small rims that Radpower chose.

Like the tires, the spokes are an oddball size. I couldn't find any except in China, with a lead time of several weeks. I contacted Customer Service three days ago, and they have ignored me. Radpower is not a good company. I'm reduced to walking so maybe my bike will still work when I absolutely need it.

So I ordered a Six Three Zero. More than one expert has said that if you want a good ebike, start with a good bike. Would anyone want a Radrunner without the motor? The company started in 2007 when the CEO, at 15, built an ebike in his garage. When a kid does that, I call the result a toy. Six Three Zero started in 2005 when several enthusiasts began building bicycles in a garage.

The CEO says theirs aren't fast like road bikes or tough like mountain bikes, but his cost less while meeting the needs of a typical rider very well. That sounds like Henry Ford; as he developed his designs, others were marketing impractical toys for the rich. It wasn't until 1913 that he could begin bringing the price down drastically. By then, his car was known to meet consumer needs especially well. For bicycles, Six Three Zero accepts returns for 365 days. I guess that shows confidence in customer satisfaction.

The CEO says he never even rode an ebike until 4 years ago. That's like the Wright Brothers, developing a good glider before building an airplane.

Their advertising is largely for women. That's good. Women don't want bikes that are toys. Considering the amount I have spent trying to make my Radrunner suit my needs, I'd say I've had an expensive adventure with a toy. Two bikes is too many for me. Ebikes have little resale value. I think I'll give my Radrunner to a neighbor. For some time, he and his wife have been getting by on one car. Before then, he used to say he envied me because my Radrunner looked like so much fun. He drove a Stryker in Afghanistan, and I haven't met many combat veterans in the last 50 years. A few weeks ago he got laid off and landed a great job 2 miles away. I guess a Radrunner can go that far.

I would say the RadRunner was probably not the right bike for you. That being said, I hammer my RadMini harder than most, and the first hardware problem I ever had was a non-Rad part. 6000 miles and still going strong. All original spokes too, despite mountain bike trails and 40mph speeds, so perhaps yours were defective or loose? I don't know that adapting a pedal bike to electric is better than designing an e-bike from the ground up, but Six Three Zero's bikes look nice.

crazybiker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 05:21:07 AM »
I have been cycling for a long time and I have 4 bikes in my garage (and 2 more cars. I wonder where there is so much space).
1. My old BMX that my parents bought me when I was 10 years old
2. My mountain bike. This is the first bike I have bought myself.
3. My fatbike. I succumbed to the fashion trend and bought myself one.
4. My son's bike. None of my bikes fit him yet as they are too big for him. And I had to buy it for him.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:40:39 PM by crazybiker »

Hehateme

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »
1. 2000 specialized fsr enduro. Still really fun to ride
2. Wife?s mid 80s Raleigh (usa) rigid mountain bike
3. Gary Fisher wahoo with skinny road tires n wheels
4. folding Ketler that is old enough to be made in WEST Germany
5. Son?s 24? Novara Tractor
6. Radrover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk