Author Topic: Rad rover 6 plus brand new gear slipping  (Read 4620 times)

Tb54321

• View Profile
Rad rover 6 plus brand new gear slipping
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:13:53 PM »
Hi all,

Just got my new rad rover and furst ebike, unfortunatly off to a bad start.

As with most users im predominetly driving the bike in gears 5-7.  Gears 6-7 are constantly slipping.  I tried a barrel adjustment on the derailer, but it hasnt helped.  I took the bike to a cycle shop, and the fella said another user came in with sane problem.  He said the gear cassette is cheap and unbranded, and therefore jot reliable, a free wheel would have been better.  That aside, has anyone encountered this before the top gears slipping, do u know what the fix might be?

Hope you can help, thank you all for taking the time to read.

Jodyf216

• View Profile
Re: Rad rover 6 plus brand new gear slipping
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 10:34:15 AM »
I just got back from my first ride on a Radrover 6 and my bike is doing the same as you describe!

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Sounds like RAD should do a Recall.

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
Sounds like you just need to do a derailleur adjustment. I had this with my Rover 6+ as well. Rad suggested I try this on my own or take it to a bike shop. I took it to the bike shop. not too expensive and I had the bike back in an hour. The Bike shop and Rad said this is to be expected on new boxed bikes that have never been assembled or adjusted before.

StinkyZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:55:56 AM »
More than likely need to set the indexing of the derailleur. Pretty easy process if that is the issue. Coming straight out of being shipped, it almost certainly needs to be adjusted before riding (unless assembled at a shop) as things are bound to bang around a bit.

https://youtu.be/UkZxPIZ1ngY
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:58:01 AM by StinkyZ »

Tb54321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »
Thanks all for your replies, ill give the adjustment another go.  My issue is strange its like it skips gear teeth when i put presurre on in the higher gears

rjp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 06:04:02 PM »
Tb54321, Sounds like the problem I had with my Rad Rover ST. The freewheel wobbled more than a normal amount and would skip a couple teeth every once in awhile, when I pedaled hard. Rad sent a new freewheel to my bike shop after they inspected it and thought there was to much play and after it was replaced, the problem was gone. Wiggle your freewheel and see if you have excessive side to side movement. Like a rocking motion.       

Tb54321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:28:54 AM »
Rjp thanks so much ill take a look tp see how the secure the gear cassette is and/or if it has any
Wobble/play to
It

JPinBC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »
Yes, I've had a similar problem with 3rd gear just spinning under even the slightest load. The cassette came loose somehow and does not put enough pressure on the 3rd cog to snug up against it's spacers. There is no spline for 3rd gear to slide on to. Very bizarre design. Can't get the lock ring to tighten up enough to snug 3rd gear down so it won't spin. Contacted Radpower warranty department and waiting to hear back from them after I've had a professional bike mechanic try to fix it and he was not able to.

Steve06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 06:56:54 PM »
Sounds like RAD should do a Recall.

nah this is why you have bke mechanics put together your bike. often out the box the derailer needs to be adjusted and if you got a shimano altus everytime you take off your back wheel or crash you might have to adjust your derailleur. its part the game.

Mb34928

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »
We did a 20 mile shake down ride yesterday and both of our new RR6s skip/slip in fifth gear. We have a Step through and a high step.  The HS has the Acera derailleur and the ST has the Altus.  The slip is worse on the HS.  I?m a bike mechanic so I check all the necessary things but it still slips.  The cassette itself has a lot of side to side play, but there is no play between the clogs.  It?s hard to tell if the chain is slipping over the teeth or if the cassette itself is slipping.  I can?t duplicate the problem on my bike stand as there needs to be a moderate amount of weight applied to the pedals.  I?ve reached out to Rad.  I?ll report back with what they said.

river rat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »
I?m having the same problem. Just bought two of the rad rover six plus?s and both slip the cassette when in fifth gear. Been on the phone on and off all day today without any resolution. Really having buyers regret at this point.

boneshakin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
Interesting to read this.  My HS simply will not stay in first gear.  I have maybe 40 miles on the bike and can shift into 1st gear but once I take my thumb off the shifter it immediately goes into 2nd gear and attempts to get into 3rd.  I know nothing about bikes or gears but can only assume it was not properly adjusted before they shipped it to me.  I probably  need to take it to a bike shop for a fine tuning but feel Rad should be responsible for assuring proper setup as I have had the bike only 2 weeks.

We did a 20 mile shake down ride yesterday and both of our new RR6s skip/slip in fifth gear. We have a Step through and a high step.  The HS has the Acera derailleur and the ST has the Altus.  The slip is worse on the HS.  I?m a bike mechanic so I check all the necessary things but it still slips.  The cassette itself has a lot of side to side play, but there is no play between the clogs.  It?s hard to tell if the chain is slipping over the teeth or if the cassette itself is slipping.  I can?t duplicate the problem on my bike stand as there needs to be a moderate amount of weight applied to the pedals.  I?ve reached out to Rad.  I?ll report back with what they said.
[/quote]

pwpmixer63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 06:47:07 AM »
Similar situation for me on my new RadRover 6+.  I followed the YouTube instructions from StinkyZ and it worked very well.  Here is the link again:::

https://youtu.be/UkZxPIZ1ngY

seandhc8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 08:38:07 PM »
I also had the issue with fifth gear skipping only when pedal under pressure.  I tried the derailleur adjustment and it didn?t work.  I then bought the tool to adjust the derailleur hanger and it made some improvement, but fifth gear still skipped under pressure. Took to bike shop, they installed a new freewheel and it still made noise in fifth gear, but didn?t skip.  They installed a 14-28 tooth and I hated it. 6 and 7 gear was not low enough now for the speed of the e-bike.  I decided to put the original freewheel back on myself and as I was removing the rear tire I noticed that the tear drop shaped washer which has the Allen Bolt in it just behind the axel bolt (brake rotor side) was not seated properly and was slightly misaligning the axel. So I loosened up the Allen bolt to ensure it was seated flat, tightened up the axel bolt and then tightened the Allen bolt the rest of the way.  Adjusted the derailleur one more time because I swapped the original freewheel back on and it was FIXED!!  I think the misalignment of the axel resulted in fifth gear skipping.  Was weird that I could get every gear to run fine except for fifth gear, but now it?s fixed. 

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 08:38:07 PM »