Author Topic: Riding with gas bikes  (Read 2426 times)

Altema

• View Profile
Riding with gas bikes
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:03:53 AM »
There was an e-bike company in Connecticut that invited me to do a group ride with them last month. The odd twist is that they allowed gas bikes up to 50cc, and we wound up with about eight or nine gas bikes riding with us, and most of them could do about 30mph. But fear not; electric prevailed, and not only could we keep up, but the gas bikes fell behind on the climb to New Haven Overlook Vista. When you come out of hairpin turn and have instant torque, it makes a huge difference! Not all the e-bikes did well, as the last bike to the top was a stock Super73, but we all still had fun. On one downhill section the RadMini and a factory prototype "speed bike" hit 45mph (well, 44.8 mph, technically). A modified gas bike was not too far behind us, but I know the guy on the prototype was holding back because that bike can hit at least 50mph.

My setup for the RadMini this trip was running dual Tesla batteries totaling 39.5Ah, and maximum power was limited to 2500 watts to conserve battery. I did that because I thought the ride was going to be much longer, and the bike finished with about 70% battery left after 19 miles. This was definitely one of the most fun rides I've been on, but I'm not sure when I'll be back for another because of the 11 hour drive to get there. 22 hours of driving for about an hour of riding is not a practical trade off, and trips like this usually cost me about 1k in US dollars. Some pictures are below!

jbfoster

• View Profile
Re: Riding with gas bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »
How loud was the electric bikes? I seen one not to long ago and it sounded like a weed eater. It was loud.

Jim

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 06:22:40 AM »
How loud was the electric bikes? I seen one not to long ago and it sounded like a weed eater. It was loud.

Jim
Most of them were normal, with whirring and gear noise. The only loud one was the Sur Ron, but it was stock and not too bad. The prototype bike was a direct drive hub motor, and it was silent. Of course, all the electric bikes we quiet compared to the gassers! I'll post a video or two when I get a chance.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 06:26:38 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun.  Congratulations.  I have one question. 

Do you think you could have done the ride with a stock Rad Mini bike.  No modifications.  No extra battery?  I was just wondering if I were going on group rides whether I would need to have at least an extra battery.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:29:44 AM by Eric7 »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 07:01:05 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun.  Congratulations.  I have one question. 

Do you think you could have done the ride with a stock Rad Mini bike.  No modifications.  No extra battery?  I was just wondering if I were going on group rides whether I would need to have at least an extra battery.
This ride specifically? Not with the stock 20mph limit. The battery would have been adequate though. This ride in particular was an outlier, and I knew what I was getting into well in advance. For the normal group rides I go on weekly, a stock RadMini would be fine, maybe even considered over-powered if riding with a large number of Trek mid-drive bikes like I do. If you have any concerns, see if you can pull up info on the type of bikes used, or see a prior ride on YouTube. Particularly what bikes are used as the "lead" bikes. For RiDetroit group rides, the lead rider is on a Tern cargo bike, and he does a good job of pacing the event.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 02:49:43 PM »
A stock RadMini would be fine, maybe even considered over-powered if riding with a large number of Trek mid-drive bikes like I do.

First I want to thank you for answering my question.  Much appreciated.

You are saying that a Rad Mini ST2 has more power than a $3000++ mid drive bike on a regular ride on the road.  Interesting.  Because that would be something I planned to buy as my next step up if I get more interested in the ebike hobby.  I am perfectly happy with my ST2 and has no immediate plans (and no money) to "upgrade."  But it seems a mid drive bike might not be what I want after all.

All very interesting.  Thanks.  I am certainly not buying a mid drive without a test first.

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 10:23:39 PM »

Jim
Most of them were normal, with whirring and gear noise. The only loud one was the Sur Ron, but it was stock and not too bad. The prototype bike was a direct drive hub motor, and it was silent. Of course, all the electric bikes we quiet compared to the gassers! I'll post a video or two when I get a chance.

Well, I'm a dumbass. I meant to say how loud was the gas bikes not electric.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 04:34:45 AM »

Jim

Well, I'm a dumbass. I meant to say how loud was the gas bikes not electric.
Lol, no problem, and it was still a valid question. There was a modern scooter that was pretty quiet, and a few of the gas bikes were not terribly loud. Some of the older ones and the modified ones were pretty loud. Not chainsaw loud, but not too far from a weed eater. Gas weed eater, that is 😉

What bothered me more than the noise is the exhaust fumes. I wasn't trying to show off by staying near the front of the pack... the fumes from being behind all those bikes were burning my eyes!

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
That would suck with all those fumes. I didn't think about that.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »